POLL: What was your first dive computer and would you buy it again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought my first and only dive computer two weeks ago. I got a Shearwater Perdix. Would I purchase it again? Way too early to tell as I only used a fraction of its functions.

Cressi Archimede 2 (aka Seiko generic/Zeagle N2ition/Tusa IQ-700). Good for my needs then but not now. Eats batteries and you get weird errors/behavior when the battery gets low so I wouldn't recommend it.

My first computer back in 2001 was a Uwatec wrist mount, sold it quickly and got a Suunto Cobra. I'm about to ditch it for a brass and glass spg and a Perdix.

My very first dive computer was a Dacor Omni Pro and it did everything it was designed to do.
But with the current advancements in dive computers it would have been considered a very basic computer by todays standards.
I still have it in my "old dive gear locker" along with a Oceanic VT3 and a Suunto Zoop.

My first computer was an Aeris Epic, a wrist mounted AI computer. I liked how it work, but was way to complicated to use. The manual was about 179 pages as small fine print.

I would never, ever, buy this computer again.

I now dive with Petral...loving it.

P.S.

I have about 6 Zoops for my students and myself that I use in my Open Water classes. Just a very basic computer that is great for new divers.

First computer was a suunto Stinger bough in 2000 - until it was stolen 2 years ago.
Easy to use and to be an every day watch.
The main defect - for wich I wouldn't buy it agian - is that it was getting smaller and less visibile with the years - or my eyes are getting older ... much probably the watch was shrinking.
Actually I use an Helo2
I am greatly impressed by the Perdix ... my next ?

I resisted buying a computer for the first couple of years until a friend bought me a Sherwood Source. It was easy to read but I had to return it twice for replacement. Still, I haven't used a computer in the past twenty years that beats it.

Cressi Leonardo. Great features for the price. But incredibly conservative. More conservative than a Suunto. I don't mind conservative, but it's over the top for repetitive dives (IMHO). I dive with a Suunto Vyper now, and intending to later get a Perdix.

This comparison makes really interesting reading:
The Best Scuba Diving Computers Reviewed by ScubaLab
Make sure you open the PDF for the full results. There is 47mins difference between the Cressi (most conservative) and the Suunto (2nd most conservative) for the profiles they used after 4 dives. After I saw this it sealed my decision to get a different DC - still but decided to still stay on the conservative side with a Suunto.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom