pony or spare air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

penitent1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know that this is going to stir it up but really, if I want to have the security of bailing on a dive if there are problems with my air tank do I really need a pony tank or can I get away with a spare air (which is cheaper).

Peace.

It is almost imperative in gaining some form of experience that you figure these issues out for yourself.

Firstly...read the dozen or so existing threads on the subject. :)

Secondly.... yes, it will stir things up :wink:

Thirdly.... You'll need to let us know the nature of the diving that you intend to use the redundant air source for. Other factors such as your SAC, will also make things clearer...

Chances are, if you need redundant air, then you will need an appropriately sized pony.

Thirdly.... You'll need to let us know the nature of the diving that you intend to use the redundant air source for. Other factors such as your SAC, will also make things clearer...

Chances are, if you need redundant air, then you will need an appropriately sized pony.

Fourth- talk with your instructor.

I had a spare air, it didn't work out for me. I moved on to a pony.

The spare air regulator was not all that I had hoped it would be, it leaked from day one.
I much rather a pony tank that I can shut off the valve.
Jim Breslin

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
You've opened the Pandoras Box of Scubaboard!

I tried to search on the subject but ended up with, well, lots of crap. That is how I knew it would stir things up. Sorry in advance.

I haven't calculated my air use yet (SAC) (just finished my scuba certification). I suppose that I want to know if I should spend my money on redundant air or on a regulator or computer.

I like being under water. I think that having an extra source of air would make me feel a whole lot safer - you never know with rented gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom