Pony tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on other factors.
- If you are solo, then the extra octo not needed.
- If the pony is smallish, then you want the octo to tap into your main tank.
- If you only use the pony some of the time, then you would want the octo for consistency (that's my situation).
- Then you have to consider if the tank could free flow without you knowing about it (back mounted, valve left open vs valve closed).
- How anal are you about checking the pony works every dive?
- Do you have an SPG that you can monitor easy (not a tiny button)

Once you wade through these I think it comes clear if you can afford to skip the extra octo. For some divers, it is yes, for me its a no.

I've never used a pony but I see no reason to ditch the octo. I have a BC inflator octo (Atomic SS1) so I wouldn't even question it. Never hurts to have redundancy.

I've never used a pony but I see no reason to ditch the octo. I have a BC inflator octo (Atomic SS1) so I wouldn't even question it. Never hurts to have redundancy.

FYI: Some divers are proponents of ditching the octo so that in an OOA you don't grab the octo when intending to grab the pony second, especially if they look or feel similar.

A 19 is a good way to do it. I don't carry a pony tank, but if I did, I'd fill it with 21/35 trimix so I'd never have to remember what was in there and it's good to use from any depths that I'll be at and still be alive.
A guy I know got a back-mounted pony after he almost drowned on my boat when he wandered off messing with a crappy Danforth anchor at 90' and drained his tank. It was purely accidental that I was even near him to shove a reg in him since he was diving with his wife and she was out of sight in way shallower water where they were supposed to be.
I don't like the back-mounted pony arrangement since in a pitching sea, it's extra weight on your back while you're navigating a boat ladder. Also, you can't see the thing back there. Any time I do deco stuff, I have my tank(s) slung on harnesses where I can feel them the whole time.

and just forget the whole pony bottle stuff. You 'll be more comfortable and always have redundant systems.

I've done a little research as I was sure this had been asked a million times but I still can't quite make up my mind.

What are you guys using as pony tanks for casual diving off the Florida coast? Dives normally do not exceed 100ft and on average are in the 60-80ft range.

Are you mounting the pony bottle to your tank or slinging it? Any discomfort slinging?

19CF seems to be the go-to size. 30cf is way too big for my liking, but I'm considering something like a 13cf.

This is simply a redundant setup in case of buddy separation. The only solo diving will be quick purposeful dives in shallower water.

Pictures are very appreciated!

My current setup:

Worthington HP100
Zeagle Ranger
Atomic B2
Atomic SS1 Safe Second
No lead weight

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom