Possibilities of a DIR-F??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derek, I would love to, but like you said " the real world gets in the way sometimes"

I have one more class this year I'm trying to swing with Doppler, I just called him, and I'm trying to work my schedule to get it to work, so maybe next year for DIR-F. :)

But I am interested.

hnladue:
Actually, it isn't cheaper then a rebreater. After you buy the gear, tanks, regs, b/w etc and then the training, you've paid for the rebreather.

Where are you getting your rebreather from, Wal*Mart? An entry-level Inspiration rebreather will run around $7,300. Hardly cheaper than going the DIR route IMHO.

I'm signed up to take DIRF with the ScubaGuys Sept 16-18 at Gilboa in Ohio. And my only equipment requirments are the long hose and a back inflate BC/BP. I'd LOVE to see where you can get a rebreather for THAT much.

(Now keep in mind, I went out and bought a whole bunch of other stuff, cuz I wanted doubles....but the point is I didn't have to. I have a back inflate BC, that I hate, so I really only needed a decent backup second stage and some new hoses.)

I've heard nothing but good things about Brandon and Scott, Penny, you should have a great class. I've considered that particular class, but I'm not sure my schedule can work with it. I've taken the class already in FL, but I wanted to take it up here in the N-NE wearing my usual drysuit and cold-water gear instead of the bath-like waters of FL.

Derek S:
Where are you getting your rebreather from, Wal*Mart? An entry-level Inspiration rebreather will run around $7,300. Hardly cheaper than going the DIR route IMHO.

Then you still have to pay for the training!! and it ain't cheap either!!

Tavi:
Then you still have to pay for the training!! and it ain't cheap either!!

It's all going to be a moot point in a few weeks anyway when Deep Run closes to divers.

Derek S:
It's all going to be a moot point in a few weeks anyway when Deep Run closes to divers.

There are other places to dive Derek. I can get to Lake Erie just as fast as I can get to Deep Run Park.

Well, since a friend of mine sells rebreathers and is an instructor, I can get the training for a lot cheaper(like I said, I've had some already!) and will even be able to train on my own, if I buy one. Also the cost to run one....think about it. they can run for 3 hours without having to take it apart and change things out. At this point if I changed to doubles, I would have to change all my gear. Even my fins, if I went dirf. I've seen rebreathers go for $4k. (search the web!) But I was doing training on the inspirations.

Heather.

hnladue:
Well, since a friend of mine sells rebreathers and is an instructor, I can get the training for a lot cheaper(like I said, I've had some already!) and will even be able to train on my own, if I buy one. Also the cost to run one....think about it. they can run for 3 hours without having to take it apart and change things out. At this point if I changed to doubles, I would have to change all my gear. Even my fins, if I went dirf. I've seen rebreathers go for $4k. (search the web!) But I was doing training on the inspirations.

Heather.

Heather, please don't think I'm being argumentative or a !*%$#, because it isn't my intention.

Training on your own in a rebreather? Please reconsider. You are a friend and I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that I think it is a horrible idea at best. I think solo diving isn't exactly a good idea, but with a rebreather, you're introducing a whole new level of complex issues.

If you went to doubles you might need to change out your gear, but I bet you'll end up changing almost as much, if not more, if you went the rebreather route.

$4K? Used I assume? I'm not so sure I trust buying something so intricate as a rebreather over the internet period, let alone used. If I'm spending that kind of money, I can fly out and pick up the equipment from the manufacturer or vendor personally. It's the same reason why I won't buy 1st/2nd stages/tanks online. Call me a control freak, but I like to know exactly where my stuff came from when I'm at 110ft.

Okay.....I figured my DIR-F proposal would go over like a lead baloon, but I had to at least try. Thanks for the honest replies people. :14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom