Possibilities of a DIR-F??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not taking another class or buying any more gear until I can convert my provisional to a full pass in Fundies.

That and get the bathroom redone. :D

Derek S:
I'm not taking another class or buying any more gear until I can convert my provisional to a full pass in Fundies.

That and get the bathroom redone. :D

No more gear??

You've got the tanks and the manifold.........did you get the bands yet?? :wink:

Tavi:
No more gear??

You've got the tanks and the manifold.........did you get the bands yet?? :wink:

I've going to get the following things (only because I've been saying I'm going to get them for so long)

1) Bands
2) 1 24-inch HP hose
3) 1 55lb Explorer wing
4) New mask
5) 2 backup lights

That is all, after that. At least until the house is done.

Heather has one potential rebreather buddy. I am buying the books for the training now and will have one before I buy another set of double 130's.

When you see the cost of helium and the fact that a rebreather uses far less gas than OC, you begin to understand where the initial investment would save me money (and back pain, LOL) in the long run.

As to safety, look at it this way... if the world goes to you-know-where down there, I have three hours of reserve gas instead of ten or twenty minutes. It's a lot easier to keep thinking that way.

The thing that gets me about rebreathers is that they are really actively trying to kill you. Unlike with OC, a rebreather can literally kill you almost instantaneously underwater with no warning whatsoever in a variety of ways.

jonnythan:
The thing that gets me about rebreathers is that they are really actively trying to kill you. Unlike with OC, a rebreather can literally kill you almost instantaneously underwater with no warning whatsoever in a variety of ways.

I'll be honest in saying that I don't think that this thread (in a dive club) is the place for this debate (CCR vs. OC). I believe that the points that people wanted to make are made. So, I will endeavor to stop beating on the dead horse.

I am with the crowd that does not have the time and money for a DIRf course. I will be officially finishing my Normoxic Tri-Mix course next week if the weather will finally permit it and taking a Gas Blender's course in Brockville over Labor Day weekend as the helium got pulled out my dive shop and I will be needing to mix my own Tri-mix if I want to dive it at all. Throw in the costs of the fill whips that I need and of keeping Helium and aviator grade O2 around the house and you begin to see where money is going.

I do consider the course a good idea and see where much can be learned, but life interferes. It sounds like everybody here has a good head on their shoulders.

diverbrian:
Heather has one potential rebreather buddy. I am buying the books for the training now and will have one before I buy another set of double 130's.

When you see the cost of helium and the fact that a rebreather uses far less gas than OC, you begin to understand where the initial investment would save me money (and back pain, LOL) in the long run.

As to safety, look at it this way... if the world goes to you-know-where down there, I have three hours of reserve gas instead of ten or twenty minutes. It's a lot easier to keep thinking that way.

That's great that you're planning on learning it Brian, but in all honesty, how often are you going to be able to make the trek this way? Once a month? Not exactly enough to make me want to buy a rebreather even if I felt I was ready for one (which I'm not).

I understand what you guys are saying, I really do. But stating that buying a rebreather will save you money in the long run is like saying that buying your own gasoline company will save you money in the long run. Who has $4K to just drop all at once on a rebreather? Technically I do (not if I want to stay married...and I guess I do
04.gif
), but I'm not going to spend 4 large on a rebreather, when so much more could be done with that money.

Making trimix is only really expensive if you're paying for it from the LDS. It can be mixed at home for a lot less. This might not be an option for some people for different reasons, but it is a potential solution. I understand the whole thing with lugging around PST130s, but who says you always need 260CuFt of gas?

Heather, what about a drysuit? I hope nobody plans on diving a rebreather without one, or it'll be an even more expensive proposition because you'll only be using the rebreather during the summer months.

I'm sorry if I sound cynical, but I don't believe that having "3 hours of gas supply instead of 20 minutes" is the solution to the problem. Your buddy is your redundant gas supply, and if you're in a situation where you'd need more than 20 minutes of back gas for deco or to "fix things when you-know-what hits the fan":

1 - You might need a better buddy
2 - You should be chosing the appropriate gear for the dive
3 - You should be doing less aggressive dives

LED people - I'm not trying to sound like an arse, I apologize if I am. I was simply hoping to create some bonding, some unity with our members. We seemed all gung-ho in the winter, but since then things have fallen apart. I've always been willing to make any meeting or dive (with the exception of the last one, son's b-day, nothing I could do), but but there haven't been any. I've been fronting the LED site costs myself because the club was something I believed in, but it doesn't seem to be working that way.

Please, LEDs, show me I'm wrong. If I can make it out to dive with my work schedule, anyone can. Next thing you know it'll be cold again and only the truly hardcore (or is that crazy?
03.gif
) divers like myself will be out once the mercury starts really dropping.

Derek S:
That's great that you're planning on learning it Brian, but in all honesty, how often are you going to be able to make the trek this way? Once a month? Not exactly enough to make me want to buy a rebreather even if I felt I was ready for one (which I'm not).

I understand what you guys are saying, I really do. But stating that buying a rebreather will save you money in the long run is like saying that buying your own gasoline company will save you money in the long run. Who has $4K to just drop all at once on a rebreather? Technically I do (not if I want to stay married...and I guess I do
04.gif
), but I'm not going to spend 4 large on a rebreather, when so much more could be done with that money.

Making trimix is only really expensive if you're paying for it from the LDS. It can be mixed at home for a lot less. This might not be an option for some people for different reasons, but it is a potential solution. I understand the whole thing with lugging around PST130s, but who says you always need 260CuFt of gas?

Heather, what about a drysuit? I hope nobody plans on diving a rebreather without one, or it'll be an even more expensive proposition because you'll only be using the rebreather during the summer months.

I'm sorry if I sound cynical, but I don't believe that having "3 hours of gas supply instead of 20 minutes" is the solution to the problem. Your buddy is your redundant gas supply, and if you're in a situation where you'd need more than 20 minutes of back gas for deco or to "fix things when you-know-what hits the fan":

1 - You might need a better buddy
2 - You should be chosing the appropriate gear for the dive
3 - You should be doing less aggressive dives

LED people - I'm not trying to sound like an arse, I apologize if I am. I was simply hoping to create some bonding, some unity with our members. We seemed all gung-ho in the winter, but since then things have fallen apart. I've always been willing to make any meeting or dive (with the exception of the last one, son's b-day, nothing I could do), but but there haven't been any. I've been fronting the LED site costs myself because the club was something I believed in, but it doesn't seem to be working that way.

Please, LEDs, show me I'm wrong. If I can make it out to dive with my work schedule, anyone can. Next thing you know it'll be cold again and only the truly hardcore (or is that crazy?
03.gif
) divers like myself will be out once the mercury starts really dropping.

Derek,

I understand what you are saying and let me assure you that I have my reasons for my positions. Frankly, I am not overly concerned about finding RB dive buddies. With the exception of one or two people who like quite a ways from me, I don't have a regular dive buddy. The local divers don't want to travel as much as I travel (or don't have it in their schedules) and techies are a notoriously independent bunch of divers (myself included). The best dive buddy that I have and interact with in the way that a dive buddy should lives in your area as matter of fact (one reason that I actually do follow this forum pretty closely).

Trimix is still not cheap as buying nitrox from the dive shop. The helium alone for my fills still costs upwards of $40.00 a fill. Then I still have to pay for the top-off of hyper-pure air or nitrox. No, buying a compressor and the attendent filters is NOT in my current plans.

Now, for what you have said about the group. I have followed your groups posts. Your frustrations are shared in getting people together. I have seen two potential outings that got cancelled due to lack of attendence (one dive and one skills/pool session). You have at least two people that I know of trying to organize get-togethers.

I hear of medical issues and scheduling conflicts (reasonable). I hear of all kinds of things and the worst part is that sound reasonable. You have a small membership. I had a great time the other weekend diving with your group and the weekend at Dutch.

If you hang in there you will see what you want to. But, apparently many people have other priorities on their time and money than a DIRf course. That doesn't mean anything other than what you are hearing really.

Very respectfully,

Brian

(who fronts the GLWC website himself)

I'd be happy to help with the LED website costs.
Maybe this is just a slow spell in the clubs growth, and things will improve as our membership grows. Then we would have more information to put on the website too!!

We could have dues, which would help with club costs like the website. It would also show who is seriously interested in being a part of the club.

It's something to bring up at our next get together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom