Possible new Georgia Dive Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW!

I used to live in atlanta, and I'm always making stops there for business. I would be all over a local quarry dive.

Would a 200 foot quarry mean higher insurance premiums than say a 50 foot one for divers?

Where (roughly) is the quarry / ies located?

D.

They are both north of Atlanta, one is near Rome, the other near Ranger (by Calhoun). I have obtained a map showing a bunch of old granite quarries out by Lawrenceville so I may find something there to investigate as well.

There was an old quarry that was filled with water just north a click from Covington and that location would be very close for Atlanta area divers. I used to go there as a teen and dive from the cliff into the water. Water was very clear. It likes within a mile of I-20 but I am not sure of the exact location. I am a pilot and can attest to the fact that there are a lot of old water filled quarries that you can see from the air in the Atlanta area. Just southeast of Stone Mountain they are abundant.

Vulcan Minerals owns a lot of them......

Would be nice not to drive to Tenn or Old Alabam to dive a nice quarry.

Hozerski

I am amazed by the number of divers I've met in the Atlanta area and they all have to scuttle over to Alabama or Tenn. I'm surprised that someone hasn't bought one of these quarrys and opened it as a dive park. I think it would do well.

Jeremy

400 feet deep? wow...

while that is all great for the tech divers here, if it doesn't have shallower sections
for open water training, etc., then you'll have a hard time getting enough paying divers to cover expenses.

If you can get a quarry open that's withing recreational limits, I can guarentee that I and other divers will be there though.

Is that one near Covington off of Hazelbrand Rd Ne? I can see on on Google Earth there but the resolution of the image isn't very good.

We have a quarry here in Douglasville [ Vulcan ] with several abandoned very clear water holes . I have thought of diving some just to check it out.
This sounds great and I would love to help in any way I can if you need a buddy or two to check out some of these sites let me know my buudy and I would jump on the chance.
The deep thing well, I've only had two dives past 90 ft.

I've emailed Vulcan about their flooded quarries...so far no word.

Here is the latest quarry search update. Found an impressive looking quarry. Water looks clear, seems to have shallow as well as deep areas and perhaps some interesting structures in the center. I am trying to contact the owners (I have their contact information) it is located 70 miles north of Alpharetta. Here is an overhead look as well as some ground level shots. It is about 30+ acres so I would probably just lease diving rights from the owners.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom