Possible new Georgia Dive Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, here is an overhead shot of the first quarry I talked about, I haven't gotten over to it to do some ground level shots yet. It is larger than I thought (assuming this is the same one, I won't be able to confirm that until I do a position check with my GPS).

Well, the second quarry washed out...the owners don't want to do anything with it at this time. I will continue to look at the first one, but I am afraid it is just a miniture Lake Lanier. I did some looking at it s depth profile by using a dive computer attached to a rope (hi tech here) and tossing it in at various points I could reach around the shore...very disappointing in that the max depth I could reach was 14 feet...if it is as deep as rumored it must be out in the center and I will need to cart a raft over there to check it out. However, the temp was 47 degrees so definately not warm water...

Will keep everyone posted.

Did anyone else catch the news about the City of Atlanta looking into purchasing the 100 year old Bellwood Quarry? This would become a two to three year project to develop a new park & lake larger than Piedmont Park. The City will use the lake as a drinking water reservoir.

http://www.atlantaga.gov/media/medadv_beltlinequarry_011006.aspx
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/0111metquarry.html

Does anyone know of any other municipality allowing divers in a drinking water reservoir? I just finished the thread about the Madison Alabama Quarry. Hope that flies for them. That would certainly help our situation too.

I would be willing to help in anyway to start some sort of Scuba Initiative to help the City understand the need for such a place. I would have like to complete my OW cert without also getting a limited vis & night c-card also... LOL Yes that's right, I did it at Lake "Murk" Lanier.

33°46'48.24"N
84°26'6.27"W

I actually live in Rome. There is a "new" quarry in the area at the intersection of the Ga. 1 Loop (Veterans Memerorial Hwy) and Redmond Rd. The quarry was only filled in about 3-4 years ago and I have actually tried to get permission to dive it. It looks very clear but in places also very deep (400-500ft) from what Ive ben told. I'll try to enclose an aerial picture that I took during some flying lessons.

Mikerault:

I think you wisely recognized a need for more recreational use of old quarries for divers, especially around populated cities like Atlanta . I know several are used for diving up here in Wisconsin and other states.

How many million did you say you have to invest??? $25 million was paid for the Bellwood property owned by Vulcan Materials Co. This company is a huge, multi national corporation and selling old quarries to private individuals is most uilikey, unless you know the CEO.

I do love the idea, but the "devil is in the details".

Very true...I was looking into a leas of the dive rights as a start.

Mike

Mike,
I may have the answer for you a good friend of mine and diver is a quarry owner, his family has been in the rock bussiness for years. I'll try to get in touch with him. I know that he dives it himself and has invited me from time to time.

Also I'm glad to find this thread on local diving I'm from Athens and have started a local website to try to put divers in the Athens area in touch with each other.

Clyde
athensdivers.org
clyod@aol.com

Clyde,

Sounds good! Let me know what you find out!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom