Post travel ban restriction to Cozumel

What are your plans when the travel ban lifts?

• First flight

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • First week

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • First month

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • 2-4 months

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Late fall

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • Shelter in place until hell freezes over

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That sounds optimistic.... Is anyone (who's thinking) going to get on a cruise ship this year?
I have some neighbors that are cruise ship people. They are also dumber than a bag of hammers. They've been whining for weeks about their canceled cruises and will no doubt be back on a cruise ship the second someone lets them. Based on a lot of recent facebook/nextdoor posts I've seen, they aren't alone.

and news about June:

Google Translate

The Quintana Roo Tourism Promotion Council (CPTQ) announced the tourist revival of the state, with the restart of operations of the airlines from June , so they are preparing a special campaign that will be launched in late May.

Darío Flota Ocampo, director of the state agency, mentioned that airlines from Canada, the United States and Europe have already confirmed that their arrivals in the Mexican Caribbean, which is expected to reactivate mainly convention and wedding tourism. The campaign they list is focused on promoting and reactivating the sector.

You may also be interested in: Cancun: Enlist Tourist Promotion Council special campaign

“Some of the airlines that through virtual meetings have announced that they are resuming their operations at the Cancun International Airport are Air Canada, Air Transat, Delta Airlines, Copa Airlines, Air Europa, Sunwing, Southwest, and Aeroméxico that will start their flights from United States and Canada ”, he explained.

There's a lot of time left between now and then for them to change their mind.

That’s what I was thinking. Just for some context, our public schools will be closed until May 31 (which closure can be extended). Maybe they’re using that as a “guide” as to when things *might* open up? Who knows!?!?

There's a lot of time left between now and then for them to change their mind.
Agreed. I think anything appearing on an airline schedule at the moment is aspirational.

Except that Interjet is failing, having planes repossessed, and may not be around. It's just not a route that sells.

Is PV open now? How can you go there before Coz?

It also occurred to me that I probably won't be getting two free checked bags on Interjet like I do on SWA. SWA finally started flying to CZM so I was going to bring along 47 pounds of diving weights in a tiny suitcase that I'm donating to the Coral Reef Restoration Project. I don't think I want to haul them around PV and then pay $50 to get them on a plane so we'll probably just do two different trips. I don't know if PV is open for business but I doubt it--I haven't even bothered to look. I should contact some friends down there and see how things are going but I can't imagine that they are suffering the way the people on Cozumel are. We'd also considered going to PV from Loreto--it's probably only about a 40 minute flight on a jet. I suppose Loreto is probably doing fairly well too. They don't seem to rely so much on tourism (except maybe fishing). There are only a few dive shops and they get about one cruise ship per month. The car rental places might be hurting but that's a good thing :wink:

Cozumel decision-makers put all their marbles in the cruise ship business. That is what keeps most people on the island employed. Until the cruise ships resume operations, there won't be enough tourism business to keep the current population gainfully employed. Regardless of what the governor opens up.

That may be, but how was Cozumel getting by before there were 8 or 9 cruise ships on one day? Only a few years ago people referred to "the cruise ship." Now it's "the cruise ships." A couple of years ago the vendors complained that most of the cruise ship passengers got into a van and went for a tour and they didn't get much business from them anyway. More recently I have been told that they we getting lots of business from the cruise ship passengers so maybe all the tours were sold out or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom