Preparing For Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lake Hickory Scuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
As a diver (diver being certified for over 20 years) I know how important it is to be prepared for each and every dive. Now as a 20 year veteran in the dive community I have at times fell prey to being complacent during gear set up and even while planning dives. Now thankfully I'm am still around to talk about it. There have been times that I have drove for 4 hours to go diving, and once at my destination realized I didn't pack my exposure suit. There have been other times I have forgot weights or other fundamental items needed to dive safely. The point of this thread is that we should always be prepared. And though we should never take too many items with us on the actual dive, having extra gear (spare regulators, computers, gauges, mask, etc.) near by can save the day when things go bad. Also knowing when to call the dive can mean the difference between life and death.

Preparing for a dive starts as soon as you decide you are going to dive, whether it is a new location or a place you have made dives at 100 times. In the Public Safety world we call this scene size up, it begins the second we receive a call. This scene size up, your dive preparation may take just a few minutes up to a year in advanced. Since January 1st, 2015, our shop has ran over 6 trips and the next 2 are planned for the next 3 weeks. The next trip is to Cozumel (February 18th) and then immediately leaving to go Ice Diving in New York (March 6th). But even as a shop, some trips are planned a week, a month, or even a year in advanced. Our Cozumel trip was planned back in November of 2014, and the Ice Diving trip has been planned since March of 2014. Logistics plays a big role in planning trips and should play a big role in planning dives, no matter how small they are.

During the last 2 months I have been preparing some of my Ice Diving students that will be traveling to New York with me in 3 weeks, by taking them on some short cold water dives in our local area, and having them perform simple task such as Mask Removal & Replace. Skills that we learn way back in Open Water. However, as divers no matter what our certification level is, we tend to get complacent or we feel that we are experts, and this can hurt us as we advance in our training. A skill as simple as removing and replacing one's mask becomes much more difficult when the water temperature reaches a certain degree. What degree you might ask? COLD DEGREE, each person has their own tolerance to cold water.

This past weekend I took a fellow Instructor to a local quarry, who has mentored me for many years, and supervised him while he performed several basic skills, prior to taking him to New York to certify him in Ice Diving. Now during this dive, he was tasked with removing and replacing his mask, a skill he has done thousands of times for students, but never in extreme cold water. He made 2 attempts at this basic skill. The first time, he performed the skill flawlessly and was able to remove his mask, replace the mask, secure it under his hood, then clear it with one breath. After giving him a good job hand shake, I proceeded to perform the skill myself. I have always been the type that will never ask a student to perform anything that I'm not willing to do myself. After doing the skill for myself, the other Instructor decided to practice removing and replacing his mask again. This time upon replacing his mask, the skirt folded up on the right side of his mask and became lodged (due to it being a low profile mask with a very small skirt and no surface area to grab onto). He was unable to fix it while wearing 3 fingered mitts (his first time using 3 fingered mitts), and immediately signaled to go up. Now I immediately grabbed onto his shoulder straps and began a slow ascent with him.

After the dive we discussed the issue, and determined that no matter how experienced we are, not just as instructors but also as divers, any time we dive in an environment that we are not use to or we use gear we have never used before, we need to practice to be comfortable and proficient. Now this Instructor is a very comfortable diver, and as stated before, is a mentor of mine who I learn from each and every week, but this was his first time using 3 fingered mitts, and first time performing a skill in excessively cold water. All in all, he learned a valuable lesson, as did I, about being adequately prepared. Even though both of us have several thousand dives under our belts, it goes to show that water is very unforgiving and small problems can become major emergencies while under water. Preparing for a dive has never been made more real for him as it did on this particular dive.

After the dive, while we were disassembling our gear, we were discussing what happens after we finish his ice dives, and we discussed how to rewarm ourselves. The first thing we talked about was protecting ourselves from the environment. Meaning, get into a warm area before taking our exposure suits off. On this dive, immediately after exiting the water my dry suit froze over and I had to warm it up before I could unzip it and remove it. Last year, I did not have this problem and we were in -15 degrees air temperature, but had a heated shelter to change in. However, on this day we were in 30 degrees, but with no shelter, just goes to show the importance of being prepared. We chose not to set up a shelter because the temperature was 45 degrees warmer then where we are headed. Now this was remedied very simply by sitting in a heated vehicle for just a few minutes to thaw out the zipper. But no matter what dive you planned to make, being adequately prepared makes all the difference in the world.

Hope all divers (newly certified all the way up the scale to Course Directors) will take the time to prepare themselves for each and every dive they make. Safe diving to all.

Here are some pictures of my frozen over dry suit.

20150215_150150.jpg20150215_150145.jpg87 (2).jpg20150215_150137.jpg

Good thorough post. Of course I also have forgotten things over time, but very rarely. Though most of my diving is simple (except when DMing OW courses I guess), I have a routine regarding gear, when I do this and that, what I need to drive here & there. Of course, I have forgotten to turn air on a few times, thankfully only with benign shore diving. Along with preparing, I look a each dive as my first, except with experience now. No matter how easy the dive, anything can happen. I can honestly say I don't think I have yet been complacent.

One idea I read about and now use regularly is to put the youngest, least experienced or most nervous diver in charge of safety. For my son and I, having him in charge of safety means he is more likely to speak up if he sees me doing something stupid. It also makes him think more about his own safety (and mine) than he would if I let him take the attitude of, "Dad will take care of me." And, of course, packing checklists have so far helped us avoid arriving at the dive site missing some important part of our gear.

Since I dive solo I have developed a set of immutable rules. Rule 3 applies to this discussion.

3. If you forget something non-trivial during gear up, that dive is aborted. If you aren’t focused enough to gear up perfectly you aren’t focused enough to dive solo.

I think there are two lessons here, both of which I relearn at regular intervals: First, in an unfamiliar environment, we are all beginners to some degree, and we need to be cognizant of that and not assume we can dive to the peak of our abilities right away. Second, any skill not regularly practiced degrades, and as I say that I shudder, because I haven't taken my mask off in ice-cold water in quite a while, and I will have to do repeatedly this weekend :)

Why would you take your mentor to the surface when he had trouble with a flooded mask? You are preparing him to dive under ice and you let him "run for the surface" because of water in the mask?????? I'm really NOT understanding the mind set here. The guy can't handle a little problem in a quarry? He DEMONSTRATES his failure to you (and himself) and this presumably qualifies him to be taken under the ice.

Why not signal to hold and actually help your buddy with the problem? That would show you and him that he will not freak in cold water and that he can trust his buddy to help? You are going to take him in an overhead environment, when he demonstrates that he is not prepared for a MINOR problem?

Why would you take your mentor to the surface when he had trouble with a flooded mask? You are preparing him to dive under ice and you let him "run for the surface" because of water in the mask?????? I'm really NOT understanding the mind set here. The guy can't handle a little problem in a quarry? He DEMONSTRATES his failure to you (and himself) and this presumably qualifies him to be taken under the ice.

Why not signal to hold and actually help your buddy with the problem? That would show you and him that he will not freak in cold water and that he can trust his buddy to help? You are going to take him in an overhead environment, when he demonstrates that he is not prepared for a MINOR problem?

You make a very valid point dumpsterdiver, As I hope all will read this and understand that it is always better to handle problems if possible, instead of coming to the surface. However, the assumption that other solutions to the problem were not tried before the decision to surface was made, is very premature. As with most forum sites, sometimes I give to much credit to the readers simply by not giving enough information in the original post. As with you assuming things, I too assumed that the majority of the readers would have got the point of the post. The point being, no matter how experienced we are, water is not prejudice, and none of us are perfect. Even the ones we look up to (our mentors) have flaws. But for argument sake, I will be happy to defend our decision to surface so that others won't make the same assumption as you.

As the other Instructor proceeded to take his mask off for the second time, the right side of his mask skirt folded in on itself and became lodged and upon placing it back onto his face, he attempted several times to dislodge the skirt. Unfortunately he was unable to do so. He then signaled to me that his mask was inoperable. At which point I proceeded to adjust the skirt myself with no avail. By this time we had already been under the water for approximately 30 minutes and were reaching our predetermined time limit and air supply limit, and the decision was made. Through out the last 2 months, we have been working on several skills to prepare him for his upcoming certification. He was in no hurry to perfect this seemly easy skill to most in conditions that he was not use to. Most students I have taught in specialties such as Ice Diving take pride in there certifications and do not typically believe in just doing the dives, doing the skills (minimum standards), and getting the certification. I have much respect for a student, even one who is an Instructor, to make the decision to call the dive for whatever the reason maybe. I would never hold someone under the water and force them to complete skills. Considering I have spent over a decade in the Public Service as a Deputy Sheriff, Police Officer, Fire Fighter, and EMT, I'm pretty sure holding someone against their will is illegal, at least here in North Carolina.

You also make another valid point dumpsterdiver, and I thank you for pointing it out. Your second questions states "You are preparing him to dive under ice and you let him run for the surface????" Once again, we have been working on skills for over 2 months (which was in the original post, however, may not have been, or was skipped when you read it). It has always been a questionable area on what makes a qualified diver. This is a decision that all Instructors must make, does meeting minimum standards qualify one to dive. I have always been the type of Instructor to allow students (mainly children but some adults) to tell me that they are not ready, showing that they are mature enough to make responsible decisions. In the end, they do not earn a certification if they have not met the minimum standards, but letting them tell me up front shows more maturity then asking me do I think they are ready.

And lastly, in the original post, I typed "He was unable to fix it while wearing 3 fingered mitts (his first time using 3 fingered mitts), and immediately signaled to go up." This too should have been clarified so to prevent any incorrect assumptions. The "He was unable to fix it," did not clarify a time limit or what solutions were attempted, once again a mistake on my part giving the readers to much credit. I assumed most would have been able to decipher the post, clearly not the case.

As stated earlier, the information that was left out of the original post (when typed) probably should have been added. The expectations that all would have be able to get the point of the post without that information was a mistake on my part. In the future I will be sure to clarify as much detail as possible so that all can fully understand to the best of their abilities. Dumpsterdiver thank you again for pointing these things out so that others may learn.

If anyone else has any questions or better yet advise, I will be happy to take it. As stated in many of my post in the past, the COURSE DIRECTOR rating is just a title when it comes to me as just a diver. I am a diver like everybody else and I am always happy to learn more. For the last 20 some odd years I have learned from so many, not just other Instructors.

You make a very valid point dumpsterdiver, As I hope all will read this and understand that it is always better to handle problems if possible, instead of coming to the surface. However, the assumption that other solutions to the problem were not tried before the decision to surface was made, is very premature. As with most forum sites, sometimes I give to much credit to the readers simply by not giving enough information in the original post. As with you assuming things, I too assumed that the majority of the readers would have got the point of the post. The point being, no matter how experienced we are, water is not prejudice, and none of us are perfect. Even the ones we look up to (our mentors) have flaws. But for argument sake, I will be happy to defend our decision to surface so that others won't make the same assumption as you.

As the other Instructor proceeded to take his mask off for the second time, the right side of his mask skirt folded in on itself and became lodged and upon placing it back onto his face, he attempted several times to dislodge the skirt. Unfortunately he was unable to do so. He then signaled to me that his mask was inoperable. At which point I proceeded to adjust the skirt myself with no avail. By this time we had already been under the water for approximately 30 minutes and were reaching our predetermined time limit and air supply limit, and the decision was made. Through out the last 2 months, we have been working on several skills to prepare him for his upcoming certification. He was in no hurry to perfect this seemly easy skill to most in conditions that he was not use to. Most students I have taught in specialties such as Ice Diving take pride in there certifications and do not typically believe in just doing the dives, doing the skills (minimum standards), and getting the certification. I have much respect for a student, even one who is an Instructor, to make the decision to call the dive for whatever the reason maybe. I would never hold someone under the water and force them to complete skills. Considering I have spent over a decade in the Public Service as a Deputy Sheriff, Police Officer, Fire Fighter, and EMT, I'm pretty sure holding someone against their will is illegal, at least here in North Carolina.

You also make another valid point dumpsterdiver, and I thank you for pointing it out. Your second questions states "You are preparing him to dive under ice and you let him run for the surface????" Once again, we have been working on skills for over 2 months (which was in the original post, however, may not have been, or was skipped when you read it). It has always been a questionable area on what makes a qualified diver. This is a decision that all Instructors must make, does meeting minimum standards qualify one to dive. I have always been the type of Instructor to allow students (mainly children but some adults) to tell me that they are not ready, showing that they are mature enough to make responsible decisions. In the end, they do not earn a certification if they have not met the minimum standards, but letting them tell me up front shows more maturity then asking me do I think they are ready.

And lastly, in the original post, I typed "He was unable to fix it while wearing 3 fingered mitts (his first time using 3 fingered mitts), and immediately signaled to go up." This too should have been clarified so to prevent any incorrect assumptions. The "He was unable to fix it," did not clarify a time limit or what solutions were attempted, once again a mistake on my part giving the readers to much credit. I assumed most would have been able to decipher the post, clearly not the case.

As stated earlier, the information that was left out of the original post (when typed) probably should have been added. The expectations that all would have be able to get the point of the post without that information was a mistake on my part. In the future I will be sure to clarify as much detail as possible so that all can fully understand to the best of their abilities. Dumpsterdiver thank you again for pointing these things out so that others may learn.

If anyone else has any questions or better yet advise, I will be happy to take it. As stated in many of my post in the past, the COURSE DIRECTOR rating is just a title when it comes to me as just a diver. I am a diver like everybody else and I am always happy to learn more. For the last 20 some odd years I have learned from so many, not just other Instructors.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. The original description reads

the other Instructor decided to practice removing and replacing his mask again. This time upon replacing his mask, the skirt folded up on the right side of his mask and became lodged (due to it being a low profile mask with a very small skirt and no surface area to grab onto). He was unable to fix it while wearing 3 fingered mitts (his first time using 3 fingered mitts), and immediately signaled to go up. Now I immediately grabbed onto his shoulder straps and began a slow ascent with him.

You didn't indicate that you tried to help and the description about an "immediate signal" paints a different picture in my mind. i am curious why an instructor and a course director working together in a methodical and coordinated effort couldn't fix a mask with a "folded skirt"? You couldn't use a knife, a poker, your teeth to work on it?

Was it damaged or could the two of you not get it seated on his face? I dove with 3 finger 7 mm mitts and I know it is not easy and after a time underwater, I am sure your hands were weak, numb and not working well.

dumpsterDiver, in regards to the mask issue, I can't really explain the issue any differently than I have, it was just one of those times (Murphy's Law) if you will. I believe his decision to signal lets go up, may have been frustration with himself that he had already done the skill once and was unable to complete it for a second time. This was again his first time using the 3 fingered mitts, up to this point he has used regular 7mm or 5mm gloves. Also we spent most of the dive working on emergency skills (not to mention tying knots in 3 fingered mitts), and I'm sure he was tired. Cold water was not an issue as far as the dive itself, he is use to water down to 37 degrees (for short periods of time), however, he doesn't typically remove and replace his mask when it is that cold. Usually this time of the year I primarily do all the open water dives with the students in our local environment (mostly due to my young age), he does have a dry suit but he is much older than me, and frankly does not like cold water (and yes I know it is IRONIC he wants his Ice Diver Certification, I have been picking on him for several months now). 10 years ago, would have been a completely different story, now I joke he is an 80/80 diver, he has to have 80 foot visibility and 80 degree water.

I on the other hand, stay water logged 7 days a week, 365 days a year, minus holidays. Between teaching scuba courses 4 days a week (7 days a week during the summer if our other 3 Instructors are not available), running an Under Water Salvage Company, running 3 Public Safety Dive Teams (out of 7 that I dive for), doing Under Water Criminal Investigations for 3 of our local Law Enforcement Agencies, and running 75% all of our local domestic trips (I love to fly but choose not too, second amendment issues, seems my badge doesn't allow me to carry onto a plane so I stay grounded, another reason to have multiple Instructors who don't mind traveling internationally), I dive more than I should some times. I have built up a tolerance for cold water (THANK GOD for Dry Suits). I'm sure in the next 10-15 years I will become an 80/80 diver. Hopefully by then I will have a bunch of young enthusiastic Instructors to replace me.

Just to cover the mask issue once again, we found no damage on it after the dive, it will be an unsolved mystery to us. He was able to seat it but the skirt would not unfold back into position (try to imagine a mask that has been folded up inside itself and fused the skirt to itself). Of course after we exit the water, the mask appeared to be fine. In retrospect, if he would have decided to stay, I could have pulled my spare out from my thigh pocket of my Dry Suit and handed it to him, but as you stated he was probably tired and I feel comfortable saying he was frustrated.

Also you mentioned the hands being numb or cold. I am a Mares Dealer (though the only Mares gear I wear when Ice Diving is the Mares Abyss Navy 22 Regulator & Spare for pony rig, Mares Liquid Skin Mask and spare, and the Mares Power Plana Fins.), and one flaw they have, they do not sale 3 fingered mitts. So in the last several years I have experimented with several different companies, Akona (cheap $ but descent quality), Bare (cheap $ semi descent quality), and Water Proof (much more $ but well worth it, and extremely well built, comfortable, and gets First Place in my book). As of to date, my hands have never got cold while diving any water temperature below 50 degrees (with any of the 3 companies mentioned). The other Instructor has always been reluctant to 3 fingered mitts due to he does not like losing dexterity in his fingers. So I bought him a pare of Water Proof 7mm 3 fingered mitts, and it was like watching a kid on Christmas morning who just got a brand new toy. He has yet to take them off. My fear is he will try to wear them in the summer time (jokingly of course). Happy diving and if you or anyone else has any questions please feel free to ask.

after getting my drysuit last summer, and diving Catalina (which I know isn't 'cold'), I have this part of me wants to learn something like ice diving down the road... I little thicker liner of clothes, and I think I wouldn't mind colder water... but your story about mask clearing in cold water, and memories of putting my face into cold mountain lakes and streams, and the thought of pulling my mask and having that cold water hit me like a wall makes me almost breathless...literally...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom