Primary or alternate donate poll

Primary or alternate donate

• Primary

Votes: 216 74.7%
  • Alternate

Votes: 73 25.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reason you want to donate a known working reg is the OOA diver may be close to panic, or at least starved for air. You have been breathing from your primary. When you hand it off, you will have taken a breath and will likely be calmer than the other diver, giving you time to grab your backup without freaking out.

I think you can donate a reg a lot faster if it is from your mouth. I dive SM, so I know the reg on my short hose works. Non-issue. If I have to donate my clipped off long hose fast, I just use the breakaway instead of unclipping it.

When I see a rec diver in the full gear (LH. + BP/W) they get my attention, as for the most part they're "posing" and their diving skills are far away from where they think they are

That's frustrating.

I'm about as new to diving as it gets. 12 dives in. I came to SB and researched what I should get/do/learn. Overwhelmingly folks recommend BP&W, so that's what I went with when I purchased gear.

So do you do the recommended BP&W and be a poser or do you buy what the LDS shop pushes and get the inevitable "why did you spend all that money on a jacket when a BP&W works so much better"?

One thing I've learned faster than diving skills is that there is a really big divide in the diving community.

One thing I've learned faster than diving skills is that there is a really big divide in the diving community.

Sad but very true. I don't see how that divide can be bridged realistically.

There’s a big divide in the Scubaboard and other online diving communities where 99% of the long hose/BPW hog looping frog kickers hang out and talk about how good they are about going backwards.
In the regular dive shop/diving world it’s still very much jackets, split fins, and octo’s clipped off somewhere in the triangle. 99% of the worlds divers have probably never even heard of Scubaboard, so let’s keep this in perspective.

There’s a big divide in the Scubaboard and other online diving communities where 99% of the long hose/BPW hog looping frog kickers hang out and talk about how good they are about going backwards.
In the regular dive shop/diving world it’s still very much jackets, split fins, and octo’s clipped off somewhere in the triangle. 99% of the worlds divers have probably never even heard of Scubaboard, so let’s keep this in perspective.
I see the divide more about coral killers vs non coral kickers.

I see the divide more about coral killers vs non coral kickers.

I’m not sure if you suggesting that divers with octos are coral killers or divers who don’t frog kick well are. Either way, that’s some serious generalizing you seem to be doing, which is not helping bridge that divide.

Erik

I think a difference to keep in mind is that those on SB likely spend A LOT of time thinking about diving.
99% of divers do NOT spend A LOT of time thinking about diving.

So if the views and opinions of those that spend A LOT of time thinking about something differ from those that do NOT spend A LOT of time thinking about it .... Which views might be more considered, based on reflection, discussions, lessons learned?

It's like saying 99% of skaters at the local ice rink do X. Only the 1% on skater-board, who read, research, coach, and train, do Y. Not that the 1% on skater-board do not have differences of opinion. Or, posers, or my-skates are just fine thank you's. Or, the ABF 12.99 skates I sell are just fine.

(Back from getting to spend 2.5 hour dive just on sidemount issues w/ AL80s. So not just reading, study, etc.)

I’m not sure if you suggesting that divers with octos are coral killers or divers who don’t frog kick well are. Either way, that’s some serious generalizing you seem to be doing, which is not helping bridge that divide.

Erik
Not at all just people with poor buoyancy skills regardless of configuration

I think a difference to keep in mind is that those on SB likely spend A LOT of time thinking about diving.
99% of divers do NOT spend A LOT of time thinking about diving.

So if the views and opinions of those that spend A LOT of time thinking about something differ from those that do NOT spend A LOT of time thinking about it .... Which views might be more considered, based on reflection, discussions, lessons learned?

It's like saying 99% of skaters at the local ice rink do X. Only the 1% on skater-board, who read, research, coach, and train, do Y. Not that the 1% on skater-board do not have differences of opinion. Or, posers, or my-skates are just fine thank you's. Or, the ABF 12.99 skates I sell are just fine.
There is a lot more nonsense in various diving groups on Facebook and what you see here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom