Proper use of the English language

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Psst, you should realize that the sentence to which you are referring is a quotation from a web site...a direct quotation. This means it was transcribed exactly, errors and all. That is why there are quotation marks around it.

I still love you though man.:D

:wink:

But you're not getting my Bud Light!

Are you in the Infantry or the Cav?

:popcorn:

I was in a combined arms battalion in the Third Infantry Division. So we had two companies of tanks, two companies of mechanized infantry (Bradley Fighting Vehicles and crunchies), one company of engineers, one company of pogues, and a headquarters company. I got to run around with a lot of different units, that was the best part about being fire support...that and I could bring the entire world down around people with just a radio and a dip in my mouth :wink:

Now I just teach English, math, and other assorted sundries. The kids never backtalk me though, as I'm quite crazy. .:balloons:

This begs the question, why does it annoy you so much?

:rofl3: ARRRGGGGHHHHH! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Alas, I don't believe the proper usage of that phrase is addressed in The Elements of Style.

As to "professionals" in journalism, from what I have read in newspapers and other mainstream media outlets, the ability to form a coherent sentence with proper syntax and punctuation is no longer a requirement for obtaining a Journalism Degree or job.

When my daughter and I took an Advanced Fiction course at the local college, we were both amazed at what some of these "advanced" students didn't know. If this was the advanced class, I would have hated to read anything by the remedial class. We had some terrific writers in the class, and some that needed to go back and study their basic composition textbooks.

Yeah, I was referring to not only newspaper editors, but also internet news writers as well as television personnel. When I read it or hear it, I cringe. But all too often people try to sound like something their not- be it sophisticated, professional, or knowledgeable (See how I slipped that Harvard comma in there :)). Everything you said is so true as well. Thanks for letting me vent and also giving me an insight that it's just not where I live or lurk! it also makes me feel good to know that I am not the only weirdo that notices stuff like this!

Now don't get me started on the he and I (proper) versus he and me (no go), or the difference between affect and effect, or using the phrase, Case in point, in conversation. In the end though, I am simply a victim of Tacoma Public Education and so I should be thankful I can even read! :cool2:

The best way I've heard the "she and I" or "she and me" choice explained is to omit the third person pronoun, and find which first person pronoun fits the sentence.

I.E.

Since it's proper to say, "I went to the store," I would also say, "She and I went to the store."

However, since it's proper to say, "They saw me at the mall," it would not be proper to say, "They saw Mary and I at the mall." In that sentence, since we would not say, "They saw I at the mall," we would write it, "They saw Mary and me at the mall."

For years, though, I thought "I" was always correct when following another pronoun and conjunction. When it was explained as above, it suddenly made sense when to use "I" or "me."

Last edited:
The best way I've heard the "she and I" or "she and me" choice explained is to omit the third person pronoun, and find which first person pronoun fits the sentence.
@Hoomi: I like the examples that you listed.
Foreign language study has a way of crystallizing one's understand of his mother tongue. Call me crazy, but I think that American students could benefit greatly from a few years of instruction in Latin.
Usage of "she" vs. "her" and "I" vs. "me" depends on the case.
Nominative case = she, I
Accusative case = her, me
As you correctly pointed out, a compound subject calls for the nominative case, whereas a compound direct object requires the accusative case.

Psst, you should realize that the sentence to which you are referring is a quotation from a web site...a direct quotation. This means it was transcribed exactly, errors and all. That is why there are quotation marks around it.

In that case, put [sic] after the error to indicate to the reader that you are quoting directly but realise there is an error.

Don't make the mistake of assuming everyone uses American English. British English has slightly different punctuation rules, as well as employing the correct spelling.

Yes, what is the go with 'U.S English' anyway? Is that just an excuse for not being able to spell? :wink:
</flame suit on>
:popcorn:

Well, folks; whether we're discussing American English or the Queen's English, I think this quote sums it up nicely:

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house [prostitute]. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary.
&#8212;James Nicoll, can.general, March 21, 1992

Last edited:
Well, folks; whether we're discussing American English or the Queen's English, I think this quote sums it up nicely:

I was talking with a business aquaintance a while back, who lives in Ramsbottom, England. I asked him to slow down a little while talking to me, as I am a hillbilly and our English was not quite the same as their "proper" English. He was fairly quick to point out and say, "Jimi, you don't speak any form of English, you speak bloody Redneck!" We had a good laugh over that one.
:D

#1-#3 look OK to me. #1 = #2. #1 and #2 indicate present perfect tense, whereas #3 indicates present tense.
I generally only use contractions involving "have" (I've, we've, you've) when "have" serves as an auxiliary verb with the past participle of a different verb. This construction forms the perfect aspect. Conjugation of the verb "to have" denotes the tense of the overall construction: present perfect, pluperfect, or future perfect.
In #4, "have" serves as the primary verb; thus, I would avoid the use of the contraction. If I wanted to denote present tense, then I would use #3 instead of #4.

I hope that this clears up your grammatical quandary.

Hey, thanks! I was born in CA, so English isn't my native language and this has bothered me for a month or two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom