PST Tank discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronzo, maybe you want to tell me about certificates expiring and that the PST tanks will no longer be able to be hydroed. Never heard of such a thing and neither has any dive shop in my area of S. Florida. Please explain.

Last edited:
Yes Ronzo, please explain to me as well. I own a dive shop and we still hydro old steel 72's that are about as old as me. Our hydro facility has never refused to hydro a tank that is still viable. Have the refused hydro or failed tanks, absolutely!! as they should. A tank passing hydro has nothing to do with a certificate or any other BS that you may come up with. A tank passing hydro has to do with mathematical equations and the tank conforming to the parameters of those equations.

Thanks diverboy for expounding on this subject from a dive shop viewpoint.

Because they are the best steel tanks out there. They have recently evolved into the Worthington label.

Worthington entered the SCUBA market jut as PST went on hard times and for a brief period were competitors. I would not use the term evolve except to divers the source of hod dipped galvanized cylinders went mainly from PST to Worthington (XS SCUBA)

PST & Worthington are 2 very different companies.

Pete

The LP72 cylinders are 3AA and that specification is locked down and good to go.

The special permit HP cylinders like the the PST E series, and the 3500 PSI series that came before them are covered by special permit, DOT E9791. This expires on May 31, 2011. If PST is not in a position to apply for the renewal then someone will need to. Fortunately nearly anyone can request the renewal and no testing is required. As long as the DOT is not getting failure reports I understand that the renewal is pretty much a rubber stamp deal. If the SP is not renewed the hydros cannot be legitimately performed on these SP cylinders.

I have 8 cylinders under this SP and I'm sleeping just fine. Conveniently they were all due for hydro in 2010. :)

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom