PST Tank discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pete,
I have a pair of PST 119's.

Assuming that PST does not get a blanket exemption, would you explain a bit about the process of applying for an individual renewal. What is the cost, etc.?

The LP72 cylinders are 3AA and that specification is locked down and good to go.

The special permit HP cylinders like the the PST E series, and the 3500 PSI series that came before them are covered by special permit, DOT E9791. This expires on May 31, 2011. If PST is not in a position to apply for the renewal then someone will need to. Fortunately nearly anyone can request the renewal and no testing is required. As long as the DOT is not getting failure reports I understand that the renewal is pretty much a rubber stamp deal. If the SP is not renewed the hydros cannot be legitimately performed on these SP cylinders.

I have 8 cylinders under this SP and I'm sleeping just fine. Conveniently they were all due for hydro in 2010. :)

Pete

Personally, I don't think anyone having PST tanks has anything to be concerned about regarding getting their tanks hydroed. I have 4 of the E-8 series, and the hydro facility where I get my tanks serviced is also not the least concerned. And, I haven't lost any sleep yet.:D
If you look at the manufacturing process of PST and Worthington, they are the same. Again, IMHO, the best tanks out there.

Pete,
I have a pair of PST 119's.

Assuming that PST does not get a blanket exemption, would you explain a bit about the process of applying for an individual renewal. What is the cost, etc.?

First off the 2010 hydro's of my 8 just fell that way and are not the reason for me sleeping well. I'm confident that the exemption will be renewed and all of those cylinders will remain in service.

As for the process I do not have all of the names and forms but it goes like this.... Someone (can be anyone) submits the application to the DOT to renew the exemption and the DOT review any claims made against such cylinders. If there is nothing on file to indicate that the original engineering and testing was flawed then they issue the renewal. The design work is not revisited and there is no testing or other investigation done. The renewal when issued is of the actual special permit and covers the entire population. This is not a personal application for one's own cylinders.

Pete

The LP72 cylinders are 3AA and that specification is locked down and good to go.

The special permit HP cylinders like the the PST E series, and the 3500 PSI series that came before them are covered by special permit, DOT E9791. This expires on May 31, 2011. If PST is not in a position to apply for the renewal then someone will need to. Fortunately nearly anyone can request the renewal and no testing is required. As long as the DOT is not getting failure reports I understand that the renewal is pretty much a rubber stamp deal. If the SP is not renewed the hydros cannot be legitimately performed on these SP cylinders.

I have 8 cylinders under this SP and I'm sleeping just fine. Conveniently they were all due for hydro in 2010. :)

Pete

I've got 7 tanks under this SP, 5 of which the hydros just expired 04-05/10, so my plan is to get them all rehydroed winter 2010-spring 2011, JUST before the SP expires, so that worse case scenario, they'll be 'legal' until 2016...it would be nice if the mysterious 'someone' would go ahead and apply for the exemption now so we can quit worrying about it...assuming the exemption submitted by one person would then apply to EVERYONE with PST tanks ? And assuming 'someone' is allowed to apply in advance of 5/31/2011 for the new exemption, versus having to actually let the old exemption expire before being allowed to submit for a renewed exemption ?

Spectrum beat me to it on the certificate expiration.

I've only owned two PST tanks, both older HP120s. Each one was used under completely different dive conditions. One was used for shore diving with land-based fills and the other for boat diving. Both failed prematurely, the first due to over expansion during one of its hydros and the second failed VIP a year after its second hydro due to rust and was deemed unworthy of repair.

Can someone tell me the difference between PST and Worthington? I was under the impression that they are different, but it seems that some here have asserted differently. I hear nothing but praise for the PST tanks of old and would love an explanation (or a link directing me to an explanation) of how the manufacturing processes are different and why they are possibly better on the PST side.

Can someone tell me the difference between PST and Worthington? I was under the impression that they are different, but it seems that some here have asserted differently. I hear nothing but praise for the PST tanks of old and would love an explanation (or a link directing me to an explanation) of how the manufacturing processes are different and why they are possibly better on the PST side.

If they are 3442psi exemption tanks they are effectively the same between PST and Worthington. Same shape, same weight, similar galvanizing, same basic chrome moly steel, same pre-pressurization required before hydro to "help" them to pass. Anyone who claims a substantive difference is blowing smoke up your...

Is there anything in the sale thread you won't respond to? You seem to always have a "comment," rarely useful or informative, but it does help build your post count.

So you throw something out there about tanks potentially being refused by a hydro facility and then withdraw your comments rather than disclose the source of your "information" claiming you wont entertain arrogance. What a jackwagon.

Ronzothegreat apparently didn't want to entertain us with his arrogance anymore.

If they are 3442psi exemption tanks they are effectively the same between PST and Worthington. Same shape, same weight, similar galvanizing, same basic chrome moly steel, same pre-pressurization required before hydro to "help" them to pass. Anyone who claims a substantive difference is blowing smoke up your...

So the "LP104 is effectively the same as an HP130" arguments Ive heard might actually be true then?

So the "LP104 is effectively the same as an HP130" arguments Ive heard might actually be true then?

The PST is approximately 2.2lbs more negative than the HP130. Approaching being a material difference IMO...

PST has a long history with hot dipped galvanized cylinder that extends way back into the era of the LP72 and beyond. These are cylinders that just don't die unless really abused. That reputation was carried into the 3500 PSI (DIN only) cylinders and latter the E series 3442 PSI hybrid cylinders that made the HP package available to yoke users. When I started diving in 2005 the E series was the rage with dealers on allocation and divers waiting many months to get cylinders.

Worthington entered the scuba business just as PST was going downhill and the X series is a clone of the PST 3442 PSI product.

The E series 3442 PSI cylinders from PST and Worthington X series are essentially the same products. The buoyancy properties vary slightly between the brands but not enough to effect the decision making process. The specifications vary and as always those specifications are typical and not precise, there could even be some overlap. Not all of the published property charts include the Worthington product but this one from TDL does.

The Worthington galvanize is not as bright as PST but after a few dozen ocean dives you can't tell the difference.

In their prime the PST E series was coming with the Thermo Pro valve. Latter inventory clearance cylinders got a knock-of valve. Same functionality just not as classy.

Worthington is still active in business. PST has been down and out for years now though I hear a gasp once in a while. Both companies had cylinder lines outside of scuba. Worthington is a giant in the cylinder industry.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom