Purchasing my first set of gear for scientific diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What @tursiops said. You do lose some pocket flexibility with a BP/W versus a jacket. They make these pockets that you can put on your harness, but I've never been that happy with them. Instead, I've taken to using a set of pocket shorts. They provide two big thigh pockets and work great. Also, you won't have an integrated weight system with a BP/W. There are a couple of solutions. One, you can again get weight pockets for your harness. Alternatively, you can get these pockets that fit on your tank cam band and put weight in those. If you go with a stainless steel back plate, that will already take about 5 lbs off what you need to wear.

If you are trained to service your own regs where you dive is irrelevant. You take kits and the necessary tools with you. Which is very easy to do.
Not everyone can do that. Or in my case, I can but don't want to. I also quit working on my own cars about 20 years ago when I could afford not to....

From your perspective as a dive gear dealer it's probably different.

Also he's looking at an Aqualung Mikron - good luck getting a parts kit for that easily.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

Ok, great. I'd much prefer weight pockets than a weight belt. With rental gear, I dive with 10lbs on me. I already own a wetsuit, which I'll be using, hence no exposure suit on the list. So I should get just a basic oil-filled SPG hooked up to my air, then have depth and bottom time on my comp? Something to note is that the next dives I'll be doing are for my scientific diving course, which I need to supply my own gear for (hence the post, and the lack of knowledge).

I guess one thing I should know is if there is anything I miss out on using the BP/W setup that I would get from a BC.
What you miss is having to fight with a BC that doesn't fit you properly because you fit the BPW to you. You miss out on not having a modular system to try and figure out how to travel with because the BPW is all individual components you can tailor to your needs. You miss out on having to pay an extra few hundred bucks that you'd spend on a high-end jacket that you find out is not suited to your diving a year from now.
SPG's are not oil filled.
Before dismissing the weight belt you really need to get with an instructor that understands weight distribution and how to put it into practice. Many OW recreational instructors don't. Hence my offer to have you come into the pool and try out a rig.

Articor: I have no idea how far you are from Lapenta's shop, but if you can take advantage of his offer, certainly do it. There really is no substitute for trying out gear and having someone available to help guide you on fit and trim. It can save a lot of headaches down the road.

As an AAUS scientific diving program DSO, we supply our in-house divers with gear. The programs and universities that I work with provide gear for use by the students and faculty. You say you need to provide your own gear for your scientific class... that certainly isn't unheard of, but most universities that have a scientific diving program are usually big enough to have rental gear for the students. So the first thing you want to know is if the class is an actual AAUS class (or other one that meets the minimums required by the OSHA scientific diving exemption), or if this is a "Scientific Diver" class taught by some instructor/shop/professor that is not operating under any auspices other than ignorance and a prayer, or a series of recreational classes that are combined to make a "Scientific Diving" class. Not to say that the latter options would necessarily be a useless class, you just need to know what you are actually getting because it will matter after you graduate.

Locally, all the programs are using traditional single tank tech set ups for scientific diving (BPW, long hose, necklaced alternate, spg clipped off and everything else on your wrist), brands typically are not any more specific than what the school has dealership agreements with. I have mostly Scubapro and Dive Right. Oceanic/Hollis, Poseidon and Halcyon are common as well. Strangely, none of the programs I work with have Aqualung gear. That is probably more due to the strict dealer requirements of servicing (like Scubapro) than any comment on the quality of the gear though. Oh, and DIN across the board. Yes the adapters are clunky if you need to use them, but you can go from DIN to yoke. You can't go the otherway around except by converting the reg.

Many programs use standard recreational set ups as well (jacket or back inflate BC, standard hose length regulator sets). It mostly depends on the type of diving and training that goes on, as well as if the DSO has drunk the tech Kool-aid or not. If your class requires a specific type of gear, talk to the instructor to find out. If not, I'd go with the tech set-up and a pair of pocket shorts.

-Chris

I'm close to 3 hours away from your shop Jim. With being in the middle of finals and not having a car, it would be incredibly difficult to make it out there. So while I really, truly, appreciate the offer I don't think I can make it out there.

Chris. I don't know if you're familiar with the program I'm doing, but it's a marine conservation / diving program in Bonaire run through CIEE. A quote from the handbook stating what certs we will receive is "This program is a dive intensive program in which students learn how to use underwater scientific methods to study coral reefs and fish communities along the leeward coast of Bonaire while training to become a scientific diver. Training includes night dives, deep dives, wreck dives and snorkeling at the CIEE house reef. Dive certificates include Advanced Open Water, Rescue Diver, EFR, and DAN Oxygen Provider. Students leave the program as AAUS scientific divers."

What about something like the Hollis HTS 2? It within my price range (HTS 2). I've heard things about the extra buckles being potential break points? I feel like I should start comparing specific products, and this one seems pretty adaptable.

I would say don't waste your time with something like the HTS 2. Either go with a BP/W and basic harness (my recommendation) or a jacket style. The hybrid type systems try to be all things to all people (advantages of a BP/W) with a jacket-style familiarity. They really are just more complex than they need to be without really adding anything.

Ok, cool, thanks. Could you give me an idea of what I *should* look at then, if I'm doing BP/W?

Yes, I'm speaking from experience from someone who went from a jacket to a "deluxe" harness on a BP to to just a simple harness. My recommendation would be to just get a stainless steel BP (~6 lbs) and a single webbing harness. The ss plate will allow you to take that 5-6 lbs off your belt. For someone not familiar with a single webbing harness on a BP, they look ridiculously uncomfortable. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Once you get the harness configured for you, it is super comfortable even without any kind of pad on the plate. It is easy to slip in and out of, it is streamlined, and just works beautifully. If you're an average sized guy, just about manufacturer's plate/harness will work. If you happen to be extra tall or short, DSS makes products that will likely fit you better. I've never dealt with DSS, but the own, Tobin, is a member here. He often offers advice and seems to make a quality product.

Chris. I don't know if you're familiar with the program I'm doing, but it's a marine conservation / diving program in Bonaire run through CIEE. A quote from the handbook stating what certs we will receive is "This program is a dive intensive program in which students learn how to use underwater scientific methods to study coral reefs and fish communities along the leeward coast of Bonaire while training to become a scientific diver. Training includes night dives, deep dives, wreck dives and snorkeling at the CIEE house reef. Dive certificates include Advanced Open Water, Rescue Diver, EFR, and DAN Oxygen Provider. Students leave the program as AAUS scientific divers."

Excellent! That'll be a great experience. CIEE are AAUS members, so that always makes things easier down the road. When you leave, or soon after, ask them for a Verification of Training letter if they don't give you one. Scan it and keep it safe. It will make diving with other AAUS organizations later in your career easier. You should learn all about that in your class.

Given that it is a field school, I would certainly get in touch and find out if they have specific gear configuration requirements or approved configurations. A BPW won't be a problem, but a long hose might be (or it might be required). Looking at pictures on their site, it looks to be primarily standard recreational set ups, so a long hose reg might not fly. It's easy to swap hoses from one config to the other, but it does cost more.

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom