PVC Wheelchair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
I am in the works of getting a ramp into the water at our new dive area in KY. I am now looking for plans to build a PVC wheelchair that can be used by divers who are unable to walk. I have seen several pictures of PVC chairs that people have built, but I can't find any plans. I can't figure out how the wheels and such are attached to the chair.

Any one have any plans out there, or can point me in the right direction? I want to build instead of buy because the commercial ones are to expensive for our non profit to buy, and I can get most of the stuff donated by friends who work as plumbers.

I think it is a great idea, but curious what will be the final grade of the ramp. If it is to steep I would worry about them descending into the water to fast as well as making it rough to wheel out of. I would think some sort of assist would be good (rope or wood etc).

As far as attaching the wheels I would assume some drilling would be needed as well as some sort of metal tube to insert into the just drilled hole to allow the wheel to spin freely without causing the PVC to melt/wear etc. Also, think use of cotter pins or such would be useful.

I googled PVC wheelchair and man they are expensive. I also checked and see you can get normal ones for real cheap, and maybe even cheaper used at like a Salvation Army or such. Otherwise I'd go and look at the commercial versions and take some notes about them.

Last edited:
The grade of the ramp is still to be determined, but it will be on the lower side. I am guessing at this time that it will be less than 1:16, that is on the low end of the ADA standard. I am wanting it to be as easy as possible for everyone even.

A normal chair may work, but I am trying to keep away from rust. I am dealing with state fish and wildlife as well as state parks, and they don't want anything that they think is non eco friendly.

Why not just use standard chairs until they rust? It's just freshwater there - use some WD-40 or similar product to keep things lubed. When you get rust or the chair starts looking lousy, replace it. I see used wheelchairs all over the place - not much of a market.

Std wheel chairs are not designed for such use. There is more to it than that. My late wife was in a chair for the whole ten years we were together. I would not even go for using std wheels. If you are going to build a PVC chair take a lesson from the Ocean City MD beach patrol. They have beach wheel chairs with bigger tires kinda like a dune buggy.

You need to put wheels on that will take some punishment and cushion the ride unless every surface you will be on is paved. Make it easy to pull back out of the water. Something like those used on heavy duty moving dollies. Pneumatic ones are better. And much cheaper than wheelchair wheels. It is a shame but companies rob people on those. As often it is paid for by medicare or insurance. So they jack the prices up substantially.

You can make axles out of stainless steel rod. If using PVC use heavy wall 1 1/2 or better for the frame. You'll also need to figure out what type of seat and seat belt system to use. And you will need a restraint system on it. Don't try to go without one. I'd suggest that you keeps the ends of the PVC open and allow it to fill with water and to drain. For divers the arms and back should be removable to allow divers to gear up while still in the chair. They can go in up to chest level or so and then be assisted in donning the BC if needed. Most will need someone. Perhaps even two or three people in addition to the divers buddy(s).

If you figure it out, share it with us. I would be willing to try and make one for my daughter.

I don't see why something similar to this wouldn't work:
AquaTrek Aquatic Wheel Chair - ActiveForever
AquaTrek uses Nylatron Bushings for both the forks and the axles. I Googled it - apparently off-road cycle stuff uses something similar.
Stainless steel fasteners and axle are durable and non-corrosive
Swing out armrests for easy transfers both in and out of the chair
Retractable footrest for added comfort
Constructed from furniture grade PVC
Custom made Nylatron bushings ensure continuous ease of motion
Ideal for use in spas, swimming pools or even the shower!
Wide and accommodating padded cushion seat
Completely submersible and will not retain water
Everything metal seems to be Stainless Steel or Magnesium - screws, axles etc.
Here's a PDF with limited dimensions: http://www.rehabsystems.net/pdf/AquaTrekWheelchair.pdf
http://www.rehabsystems.net/Aquatrek_Wheelchair.html - a few closeup pictures.
They do make a good point, I'd be sure whatever design you come up with drains easily...

You might get some ideas here also: https://www.google.com/patents/US56...&sa=X&ei=JTEVUpLvOOOYyAGz94Fg&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom