qestions for a wannabe SD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and i are interested in doing solo diving for a number of reasons, but we don't have much information to date about it all. Is it reccomended that you get a formal Cert/training? I so far, have found out that ssi and sdi do some sort of classes for Solo diver. Are there any other agencies? What is the "required" minimun equipment list? I would think some sort of cutting instrument, and a back up air supply would be a basic start.

If you and your wife are diving together then it would not be solo. Why would you want to solo dive seperate from your best buddy? I understand if she or you were occasionally not available for diving when the other is.
As to the instruction, what can it hurt but most solo divers have no such certification and don't care. None of my Naui cards going back to 1966 say anything on them about being restricted to diving with a buddy only. As to equipment I believe the less the better. There have been several threads on these subjects, check them out.

#1 we both work different schedules, and sometimes have different times off.
#2 She likes warm water only, I like to dive both cold and warm.
#3When we do go on vacations together, she wants to dive alot more than I do. so she goes out solo, but has never been trained to do so.
#4 we are getting into underwater photography, and would like to dive separately on those occaisions. nothing worse than sitting there waiting, and waiting for your buddy to get just that perfect shot. plus you seem to get better fish interaction when you are alone,VS a group of people upsetting the balance. We would rather be set up to be able to go our separate ways if we choose.
And those are just few of the reasons.

Do the usual - research your instructor - determine their attitudes about solo diving, etc. Then do some research, perhaps even here, to determine what solo divers use for equipment, procedures, etc. Take all the above with grain of salt and determine what is best for you. You're "pilot in command" on all dives (with or without buddies) my friend.

--Matt

There is a Solo Certification, but this is mostly (IMHO) just for use in case a dive boat wants to be picky about having a buddy. Even in this case, it really remains up to the boat captain's call as to whether or not he/she will let you go it alone.

Notwithstanding, the Solo class is intended to teach you about having the right equipment and knowing how to use it. It also works on the skill needed to respond to different emergencies. Depending upon the amount of diving you two have done, this may or may not really be necessary.

In another thread on this forum under the Solo topic, there is a discussion on the class. Within that thread is a list of the required equipment for the Solo course. Reading that will give you a basic idea about what you may (or may not) want to consider. As the others have said, Solo diving is really a personal choice and it is not for everyone. The best gadget to help you out in any emergency is the one on your shoulders. How you go about improving upon that is also a personal thing.

That's my two cents worth!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom