Question about a situation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a cautionary thought ...

I would be concerned about two things. First, there is always the possibility of fungus or mold growing in the bladder. All bad if spores gain foothold in your lungs. Second, if you had cleaned the bladders, to be sure to rinse completely any soaps or solvents so that you are getting completely clean gas. And of course then which gas ...

Personally, I don't see all the fuss about a dirty bladder. I dive with trimix on almost all of my dives and will always "suck" the wing dry after the dive. No sense in wasting good helium when I can at least use it to talk like Donald Duck for a moment. The wing needs to be empty for Hotdropping on the wrecks here. I have never have any sign of lung infection and I certainly have never disinfected my wing either.

Just my thoughts. Put as much faith in it as you want, or don't.

Pardon: :eek:fftopic:

:huh: Y'all don't clean out your BC bladders? :yuck:

Greetings,
<snipped>

Gas Rules ...... hard and fast

1/3 out
1/3 back
1/3 for reserve (or messing around under the exit point with enough to get up and out)

Now you've gone and done it! Last time I posted something about following the rules of thirds, I had :ummhat:s crawling all over me!!!! :popcorn:

Now you've gone and done it! Last time I posted something about following the rules of thirds, I had :ummhat:s crawling all over me!!!! :popcorn:

Interestingly enough Rule of Thirds in this case has nothing to do with wreck or cave penetration -- it just has to do with virtually guaranteeing that you do not have an OUT OF AIR situation.

Plan for Success..... be prepared not to fail.

Cheers

Interestingly enough Rule of Thirds in this case has nothing to do with wreck or cave penetration -- it just has to do with virtually guaranteeing that you do not have an OUT OF AIR situation.

Plan for Success..... be prepared not to fail.

Cheers

Thanks - that was my point when I posted it. As a very new solo diver, I am perfectly happy to follow the rule of thirds as I gain experience and learn what I don't know.

However, some here will slam you for "following rules" . . . :)

Practice CESA often until it's 2nd nature or don't depend on it.
When I first started diving, the dive always ended with an OOA. That's because we didn't have an spg.

50 ft is a piece of cake, even if you have never done it before. Point your nose to the surface and kick while singing "ah". How much practice do you really need?

What you NEED to practice is to keep checking your gauges. There is no excuse to be OOA nowadays.

When I first started diving, the dive always ended with an OOA. That's because we didn't have an spg.

50 ft is a piece of cake, even if you have never done it before. Point your nose to the surface and kick while singing "ah". How much practice do you really need?

What you NEED to practice is to keep checking your gauges. There is no excuse to be OOA nowadays.

I agree. I had only done it the pool and a couple of times in the ocean (practice), and that was before we had BCs with auto / oral inflators as well as spgs. These days however some of the divers I read posting and some I've met seem so......like they need to practice. My j valve worked didn't yours?:wink:

What Joel said in his first post. Todays gear is not gonna fail if maintained properly (pretty hard rule of thumb). There is absolutely no reason for a modern diver to run out of gas. Yes I know there may be an occaisional hose blow or an o-ring issue, but not a catostrophic failure that you can not safely swim to the surface and possibly even get your safety stop in. Gas Management, Gas Management, Gas management. Learn it and dive by it religiously. If you do, you will never have an issue. Most of the other things are a choice between the "lesser of two evils" and the risk of injury is very high. If you monitor your gas and manage it, there will be no issue for you.

Yes I know there may be an occaisional hose blow or an o-ring issue, but not a catostrophic failure that you can not safely swim to the surface and possibly even get your safety stop in.

I am about 2 days back from Bonaire :depressed:where i completed the SDI solo diver course:)

One thing that caught my eye in the manual was that a ruptured LP hose can drain 80 cu foot of gas in 83 seconds. (Apparently based on a study by the Advanced Diver Magazine). A bust disk failure is a little faster than that. My reaction to the manual - blimey that is faster than I thought. I am going to be practicing valve drills on my doubles in the next few dives.

In any event even from 60 foot I am not going to be able to react, swim to the surface and possibly get in my safety stop in 83 seconds (assuming that I have 80 cu ft of gas at the time of failure). My luck is that the failures always are at the time when my tank is 2 /3 empty giving me even less reaction time. The good news is that these failures are rare.

OK, my ability to quote sucks. Please PM me and explain what I am missing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom