Question about bcd remove underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we do it in open water. Full gear removal and replacement at the surface in OW, and make them do it underwater in the pool.

show me fins
replace fins

show me weight belt
replace weight belt

remove bcd and hug it at the surface
replace bcd

Yeah the surface we did last sunday in dive 2 outside , dive 5 in the pool is this friday then dive 3 and 4 outside on sunday

Do you hold someone down when he is starting to float in open water ?
Not necessary at the surface.
Underwater, it depends on where the weight is: if in the BCD, then make sure you don't let go of the BCD; if on you (belt), then make sure you don't let go of the BCD. Get the picture?

Njaynl,
Part of training this skill is the technique to prevent floating away from the gear. Once the skill is mastered, this is not an issue. I also train with wearing both weight belt and intergrated weights, when wearing a weight belt this is certainly not a problem at all.

Thanks to all feel much more confident at doing this

we did ours underwater in confined - mostly worthless IMHO but it is a confidence builder and gets you acquainted with your gear and it's bouyancy. In a bad entanglement (or cave restriction), I could see a real use for it but for straight rec diving, hopefully not. It never hurts to have tools in your tool box. I have actually seen it performed (and for a reason) once on a regular charter - gear came loose and the guy skillfully doffed, repaired, and donned his kit while staying mostly in trim. I was impressed to say the least.

As a new SSI grad, I don't know what is protocol. Like some others above, we did surface and underwater in the pool, then surface in the OW.

It's not a useless skill, I have taken my tank off to clear a tangle and to fix an equipment issue. Personally I prefer to do it underwater. I find everything more complicated at the surface. Solving problems with gear is infinitely easier when I can move things in three dimensions. On the surface you are trapped moving and adjusting gear along a single plain. Neither should be difficult with experience.

In the PADI OW course I took and on all the ones I assisted we did both in the pool ---and surface only in the ocean. It has always remained my least favourite skill. I once saw a VERY accomplished instructor do a less than perfect demo--sometimes something just tangles a bit, I suppose. You don't have to be smooth & perfect in the class, just get it done. One the surface in the ocean can be more difficult than in the pool for obvious reasons. I've had to remove my unit once and shove it up on rocks due to having to use an alternate exit due to cramping. But I haven't yet actually had to remove and replace it other than as a demonstration.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom