Question for Scuba Pro Jet Fins Owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm a size 10 foot and recently bought a pair of used large fins. With my boots, it clearly doesn't fit.

But I'm curious, even without wearing my boots, if I shove my foot in all the way until my toes bottom out in the pocket, the fin only covers about 1/3 of my heel. The depth of the pocket, length of the rubber covering where my heel would go seems very shallow / short. With my boots on, it barely covered any of my heel.

Is that about right for this model? How does / should the fin fit for you? I'm trying to figure out if I should buy a pair of XL used or consider a different fin.

The heel is always exposed. I always wondered why they never tried to improve the function of the fin and extend a rigid plate at the sole rearward. Thos fins may or may not fit, it depends a lot on the boots. If you have heavy soles and especially a lot of rubber on the sides of the boot, making it too wide near the toes, then the fin will not fit and you will get foot cramps.

In the past, when I used those fins, I have had to take a bench grinder to some of my dive boots and remove some of the ridiculous, supefluous rubber that they foot on the sid of the boot to use the fins.. be careful not to burn through to the neoprene..

As Dumpster said, the exposed heel is normal. You need a snuggish fit plus good penetration--ie, a combo that might require a squirt of spray silicone--for the fins to work right.

I think the original design has some problems. There are two parts to this.

There is a celebrated problem with the fit between the XL (which you should have) and the XXL, which is much bigger. This leaves a big gap in between, a gap which includes the most common men's foot sizes. I have been told that they have made some modifications in recent years, but I haven't seen that.

The second part to it is that the shape of the foot pocket is not ideal. It does not conform well to the shape of the human foot. It is too narrow at the opening.

This is all problematic for me, because I am at the upper edge of that celebrated fit problem. When I wore rock boots, I could not wear Jets--the XLs were too small, and the XXLs were too big. I switched to wet boots, and I can now wear the XLs--barely. With the narrow opening, though, I can say with emphasis that sometimes the hardest part of my dive is getting them off while clinging to a ladder banging in the waves.

All that being said, if you can get a pair that fits you OK, it is really an excellent fin. I am perfectly content with them in the water. It is getting them on and off--especially off--that bothers me.

Scubapro now makes an XL Jet, I believe, with an extra-wide foot pocket. This is to correct the "celebrated" size problem. Saw it recently in my LDS.

I too am a size 10 and had the same problem with jet fins. I have 2 pairs,Lg. and XL. The XL. are the older model,
from about the mid 80's.They don't have the lightning bolt on the logo.I wear rock boots with the heavy sole.
they fit ok,could be better,but I love jets and would not consider using another ( Frog kick,Back kick,H. turns).
I had the same problem you have with my size large. So I bought soft,soleless booties and they fit great....
Problem solved except they were impossible to exit onto rocks during shore dives. I sprinkled beach sand over
McNett wetsuit glue on the soles of the booties and they seem towork great. Hope this helps! (booties are 5mm from
tommyD's)
PORBEAGLE

I am a woman with a narrow size 7 foot; I use L jets with wetsuit booties or TurboSoles, but I can't get my foot in them with a heavier, rock-type boot. Unless you're my size, I suspect the L Jets are considerably too small.

Scubapro now makes an XL Jet, I believe, with an extra-wide foot pocket. This is to correct the "celebrated" size problem. Saw it recently in my LDS.

I am a 11.5/12 and the new XL size was too big, so I switched to the Hollis size XL bat fin and love them. My new sized SP XL's, with XScuba spring straps are for sale. PM me if interested...

i am a bit confused. I thought SP jet fins new size is called XXL which is in between the XL (which has not been changed) and the original XXL. The original XXL, which has the space large enough to accommodate a 747 is now renamed XXXL.

I could be wrong. But this is how I understand the new sizings. So when you guys said the new XL, I am confused.

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2012 at 04:39 PM ----------

By the way, some of the new SP jetfins sold in Asia are now equipped with Spring Straps as standard. The fins are no longer produced in USA but in Taiwan. I can't remember what sizes, but some of he sizes are still produced in USA. I have scooped up a couple of pairs of the XLs before the American made versions are gone from LP.

Here a link to the jet fins sizes.
://www.diveseekers.com/ScubaPro_Jet_Fins_p/sp-jetfin.htm

SP-25.352.050Jet Fins Black XXL / 13-14
I'm a 10.5 wide. I use the new XXL with springs with my Santi flex soles. These fins have been out for some time but are in demand. I'm not sure if they are still back logged. Make sure you tell them the part number when you ask them if they have them in stock before you drive down to the store. The number will be located on the sticker of the bag they came in

You really need to wear the boots or suit you will be using and try on the different size fins from SP and Turtle.

Back
Top Bottom