Question for tec instructors...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter, no I am not an attorney, or any other related field.

Just a diver interested in what to expect as my training continues.

While I did get a debrief from the lifeguard who recovered Steve's body, as well as a debrief from the officer writing the report, I am not indicating that anything of this sort is related to Steve's accident. I think some time should pass to allow family and friends to start healing. While there is always something to be learned from these unfortunate events, I would rather wait.

The subject of what is proper training for tec divers and drills that are allowed was talked about in a recent meeting and I heard things that I wanted more info on.

Thanks to all for their insights and opinions.

scubanimal:
Otter, no I am not an attorney, or any other related field.

Just a diver interested in what to expect as my training continues.

While I did get a debrief from the lifeguard who recovered Steve's body, as well as a debrief from the officer writing the report, I am not indicating that anything of this sort is related to Steve's accident. I think some time should pass to allow family and friends to start healing. While there is always something to be learned from these unfortunate events, I would rather wait.

The subject of what is proper training for tec divers and drills that are allowed was talked about in a recent meeting and I heard things that I wanted more info on.

Thanks to all for their insights and opinions.

Fair enough. Some of your questions were simiilar to scenarios being posted surrounding Steve's death.

I'm not a tech instructor (inactive IANTD advanced nitrox instructor and x-PADI instructor) but I always conducted drilles in shallow water. I would ask a student to remove a mask or whatever and never tear it off myself.

In my own tech training it was the same. We did drills in caves...lost buddy lost line, valve drills, lights out air sharing exit ect but no one tore your mask off or shut off your gas. In my trimix training we were told that any drills would take place above a certain depth and that anything that happened below that was real. below 200 I guess the instructor doesn't want you laughing at himn if he signals a problem. LOL. Even in that training though no one did anything to you. You were given an OOA signal, told to feather a deco gas valve or asked to remove a mask or whatever. A good instructor can combine stuff in a way that makes it plenty stressful without drowning you. Fail maybe but not drowned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom