Question for the Texas Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Scubadweeb....

I may be from the land of hard water, but I've been to Texas and I love the great Lone Star State.

Maybe I'm wrong and the other Swamp Divers can straighten me out. Is there a University of Texas? I haven't heard of it. When ever anyone I know talks about great schools or great football teams, they always talk about Texas A&M.

(Or maybe, I'm trying to stir up silt in a swamp dive....or is that just plain redundant :D)

Is there a University of Texas?! Ya know, as I've read some of your threads I've noticed a little bit of a wicked side to you! (LOL-just jokin' with you). UT Austin. THE finest school in Texas. You said something about a school called A&M? Do they allow Aggies in Texas? (talk about stirring up the pot)!

Actually, it's "t.u." (lower case letters), also known as "that other university"

One little known fact of Texas Aggie Lore is that the Aggies are responsbible for naming the t.u. mascot, Bevo.

Back in the 20's or 30's, the tradition was that a Texas longhorn steer would be slaughtered for the winner's feast. On one particular game, the Aggies won by 13-0. And some mischievious students snuck into the stable and proceeded to brand the score on the side of the steer.

The t.u. students decided that rather than suffer the permanent embarrasment of having "13-0" branded on the side of their masoct forever, took out their branding irons and changed the 13 into a "B", the hyphen into an "E", added a "V", and left the "0", thus becoming "BEVO"

--TexasMike, Fighting Texas Aggie, Class of '88

PS. No matter what you say, Aggies STILL have one of the more recognizable school rings in the U.S.

Saying that TU, or even UT is the best University in Texas is like saying that Houston is the cleanest city in the south, Dallas is the cultural center of Texas, or the Bucs are the best Football team in Tampa... So what??? Hey, even we got our Bithlo Tech (UCF) but you won't hear me bragin' about them... Not that they couldn't beat UT, TU, TAM, the Cowboys and what ever happened to them Oilers???

Now lets see... where did I put that flame proof suit... oh yeah AND the body armor... Got to remember to dig me a fallout shelter tomorrow, first thing...

Uh, can we change the subject back to diving now???

:tease:

Comebacks should never be this easy...

Texas Agricultural & Mechanical University...or something like that...they have the best joke books in the U.S., "Ya hear about the Aggie that lost his girlfriend? He forgot where he laid her."

Hey Mike, ya goto College Station? I'm transferin to TAMU-Commerce in Jan...they supposed to have dive club there.

Speakin of returnin to divin, anyone know anything about TAMU-Corpus? Never been divin in that area but it doesn't seem like the gulf would be real good in that area...don't know.

Never fear Pete - we ALWAYS end up on scuba in the end...right? Besides, you asked about "whatever happened to the Oilers?" Truth be known, I have a zero IQ on Pro football. Once while in New Orleans with a group of friends...(in a rather inebriated state) I was asked to play a game called "fill in the blank". All I had to do was name the correct Team Name? They asked; The Houston...? My answer was - Whalers?! They asked again, The Baltimore....? My answer...Buzzards! The San Francisco...? My answer; The Niners! (It wasn't a pretty sight)

before he thinks of it hisself...it's TAMoo...(thought ya might like a little help wif de pronunciation...cow cow)

Pronuncias el ingles muy bien Pete. ¿Hablas frances?

But my Russian is FAR better, and I also speak a tad bit of German. One of these days, I might even learn the language of my home country (Columbia), Spanish! Lets see to say I am an American in French is...

Just squeaze em in a can!

To say my name would go...

Je marmalade c'est Pierre!

If I remember rightly, the only time my French teachers were able to conduct a serious class was when I was absent!!!

:tease:

BTW, did anyone catch that Nole game this past Saturday??? Tsk, tsk, tsk!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom