Questions about Kydex BP and weight plates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Tobin, I have some questions about the kydex backplate and weight plates.

First are the weight plates for the large SS plate 8.1lbs each or 8.1lbs combined?

Secondly is it possible to put these on the kydex plate? My reasoning would be to only have to use one backplate. I could use it with the weight plates for diving at home and remove them when I go on vacation. Right now I'm probably going to be ordering the kydex plate for vacation in an effort to not be so negative diving steel tanks. What is the buoyancy characteristics of the kydex plate?

Thanks,
Nick

Hey Tobin, I have some questions about the kydex backplate and weight plates.

First are the weight plates for the large SS plate 8.1lbs each or 8.1lbs combined?

Secondly is it possible to put these on the kydex plate? My reasoning would be to only have to use one backplate. I could use it with the weight plates for diving at home and remove them when I go on vacation. Right now I'm probably going to be ordering the kydex plate for vacation in an effort to not be so negative diving steel tanks. What is the buoyancy characteristics of the kydex plate?

Thanks,
Nick

All of the published weights for the bolt on weight plates are for a PAIR or plates.

The Weight plates can only be used with DSS Stainless Steel Plates. They cannot be used with the Kydex plates.

Tobin

Thanks for the quick reply Tobin! How about the buoyancy of the Kydex?

Thanks for the quick reply Tobin! How about the buoyancy of the Kydex?

The Kydex plates are negative by less than 1 lbs.

I should point out that most travel diving involves al 80's and buoyant tanks + thin wetsuits + SS plates are a popular solution.

A typical 3mm suit is +4 lbs and a al 80 near empty is +4 lbs. A medium SS plate and regulator provides about 8 lbs. Near perfect.

Most divers have cold water at home and travel to warm water. In most cases these divers will be well served with a SS plate for both.

Tobin

If the typical 3mm suit is +4 lbs., then what is the buoyancy of the typical 5 mm suit? Thanks.

If the typical 3mm suit is +4 lbs., then what is the buoyancy of the typical 5 mm suit? Thanks.

More than a 3mm and less than a 7mm :)

The thicker the neoprene the greater the potential variance from suit to suit.

Different sized suits offer differing buoyancy.

Different cuts , one piece vs Farmer John for example, offer differing buoyancy.

Different neoprene materials, densities, "high stretch" etc. offer differing buoyancy

Best way to determine the buoyancy of YOUR suit is to test it. Roll it up and throw it in the water, add lead until it sinks.

Tobin

Hi Tobin,

I dive in tropical waters, using a single alu80 tank. When using a rental BC (Scubapro T-one) and a rashguard and shorts, I don't need weights at all.

Which backplate and wing would you recommend? I'm 5ft9 and weigh around 155lbs

Hi Tobin,

I dive in tropical waters, using a single alu80 tank. When using a rental BC (Scubapro T-one) and a rashguard and shorts, I don't need weights at all.

Which backplate and wing would you recommend? I'm 5ft9 and weigh around 155lbs

If you wear no neoprene, and are naturally slightly negative you need no ballast. In that case a near neutral Kydex plate is appropriate.

You need only about ~6 lbs of lift to float your rig at the surface, so our smallest 17 lbs wing is more than enough.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin,

If I were to go somewhere where I'll need to wear a 5mm or 7mm wetsuit, would the 17lb wing still be ok?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom