Questions about P-valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just received my Fusion with a factory-installed P-valve. Looking at this thing I have a couple questions.

First, how the heck are you supposed to connect a catheter to it? I was expecting some kind of connector piece like you get with the Salvo and Halcyon valves ... all I got was a piece of tubing. There doesn't seem to be any "interface" between the tubing and the catheter ... what am I missing here?

Second question ... why did they orient the nipple that connects the tubing to the valve so that it's pointing downward (toward my feet)?

This should seem intuitive, but that orientation will almost certainly introduce a kink in the tubing when connected ... which seems highly undesireable.

Shouldn't that niipple be pointing up ... for easier tube routing and flow?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is restating the obvious, but a quick disconnect is pretty much standard for anyone who does not want to try to connect a pee valve to a catheter on deck and or in a samll head in a pitching boat with a half donned dry suit. It works a lot better if you put on the catheter before suiting up with a short piece of tubing to connect it to the tube and QD fitting in the suit.

I also have no clue why the tube would be oriented downward.

I NEVER do this but...

:popcorn:

You can run a length of tubing (fuel line works best as it doesn't compress) and loop it downward, or upward if you want, and then back to the cathetor. A brass barbed hose connector, 1/4" ID I think, makes the bridge between the cath and the hose. Lowes or Home Depot has both and they are cheap. Mark

I just spent about $200 for a factory-installed P-valve. Why should I need to spend more at Lowes or Home Depot to buy stuff to make it work?

My Salvo P-valve ... and the Halcyon one I owned on a prior suit ... came with everything I needed ... even a couple catheters.

I'm not the least bit impressed with what I just received.

Still waiting to hear from the White's rep on this one ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Rhetorical question.....my bad. I agree, it should have everything. I only spent $50.00each for mine (2 suits). I installed them myself and retrofitted them because I like what I use better as far as hose and adapter. $200.00.....they should suit you up for that.

I have a USIA suit on order with a p-valve and I have been wondering these same questions myself. I have no idea what it will come with. I've been told that some manuf suits come with everything and others will require a trip to a medical supply store.

The Whites Sales manager may not answer back right away. He is on a much-deserved vacation this week.

Last edited:
Bob,

I had the same thoughts when I got my Si-tech valve installed (not on a Whites suit). I have unscrewed mine are reorientated it so that the barb faces up. As a nurse I am very used to the interface you mention and asked the tech where it was, and how I was supposed to connect it to a cath, he doesn’t use pee valves and had no idea how to connect it. In the end I acquired a tube connector from work and solved the issue. Do you still have either of your old suits? Could you use the tubing from one of them?

Brendan

I see that one of the reps was on here today, hopefully he is finding out the answers to your questions. It does seem odd to me that it does not come ready to use.... The nipple facing down is odd too, I am interested to hear their response....

Phil

Talked with Brook, in repair at Whites today, he will be talking with production about this problem. Hopefully things will be sorted out soon. The problem is very easily fixed, just loosen the valve and turn it where you would like. The problem is that the people in production have never dove with a p-valve, if dove at all, and are not really sure how the placement should be arranged. With the major demand of the Fusion, and the use of it by many diver's that stay well hydrated and dive prolonged times, there are bound to be a few mistakes. I'm sure they will be quick to solve the problem.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom