Questions about P-valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, now that we have pictures of the quick disconnect that should be used for the p-valve, does anybody have a supplier that carries them and part numbers? I am looking for a source not only for myself, but for the shop I do Divemaster work for, Central Oregon Tech Divers.

I have found a couple different places, but part numbers, size, best prices, etc. are always helpful.

Thanks in advance, Hawk.

McMaster-Carr (McMaster-Carr)

5012K68 - Acetal Quick-disconnect Coupling, Socket, 1/4" Size, For 3/8" Tube Id, W/o Valve - For when you have to go on the surface outta your suit....
5012K86 - Acetal Quick-disconnect Coupling, Plug, 1/4" Size, For 3/8" Tube Id, With Valve - attaches to the cath
5012K83 - Acetal Quick-disconnect Coupling, Socket, 1/4" Size, For 3/8" Tube Id, With Valve - attaches to the P-valve hose

Where's that thread of Ricks when you need it?
:rofl3:

Why, right HERE Mister Bad Penny.

Well, I have to say it ... six days of diving on an open boat with a non-functioning P-valve (because it shipped without all the parts necessary to make it work) was not fun.

For what I paid for this P-valve, I am really disappointed.

If anyone out there's considering, my recommendation is to purchase the suit without a P-valve and get your own post-installed. You'll not only save money (about $85 as opposed to the $200 that I paid), but you won't have to go shopping for the rest of the parts you'll need in order to use it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That really does stink that it came not-ready to use. I too would be quite frustrated that I order a piece of gear and have to go out and try to buy other little pieces to get it to work. And for the most part the pieces you need, have to be ordered so you have to wait that much longer.

Hopefully otherwise you are enjoying teh suit its self. I really do like my Fusion. I ordered a p-valve for it about 2 weeks ago and it still has not come in yet. Just as well though because my diving is really going to be slow for quite a while...

Phil

That really does stink that it came not-ready to use.

Almost nothing I buy scuba comes ready for me to use anymore. I have to switch hoses to the lengths I want, replace or add bungees, remove useless protectors, clips, etc., or do something to make it ready to use. So, putting a new piece of gear through my re-build/replace process has become SOP.

Almost nothing I buy scuba comes ready for me to use anymore. I have to switch hoses to the lengths I want, replace or add bungees, remove useless protectors, clips, etc., or do something to make it ready to use. So, putting a new piece of gear through my re-build/replace process has become SOP.
But Rick ... when you purchase a regulator, it comes functionally ready to use. There's a difference between customizing something to your liking and purchasing something that requires additional purchases before you can use it at all.

I will say this ... I LOVE the suit. I'm glad I purchased it. But when I pay a premium price for an add-on ... as I did with this P-valve ... I expect one of two things. Either it comes ready-to-use, or the person I purchase it from is up-front that additional parts will be needed before using it.

Neither of those conditions were met in this case. I think it's important to set expectations. Had I been told enough up-front to make an informed decision, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But I was leaving for a trip to the middle of nowhere a few days after this suit arrived, and had I known in advance what was needed, I could've made arrangements to have the parts on hand to make a functioning P-valve at a time when I really needed to have one.

That is the source of my irritation ... I can't think of another company that makes you purchase the interface parts on a P-valve before it's ready for use. It never would've occurred to me that someone would actually do that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

The only part you needed to buy to make the P-valve work was the catheter. The quick disconnect is a luxury add on that alot dont use. Sorry if I didnt think to tell you to buy a quick disconnect. I didnt know you wanted a QD, which not many places sell anyway. Catheters can be found at Walgreens and such....

Again, Im sorry if the suit doesnt come with a catheter and Quick disconnect, but I really dont think this should have ruined your expectations. If I did lead you on with anything in your purchase, please tell me so I can make it right. But I really dont think that its our fault for you not having those 2 parts with your suit.....or that those inconveniences should overshadow the rest of your experience and how hard I worked to get all of your pieces in to you in time for your trip, even though alot was backordered from Whites and I still got for your trip, and about a week to find a catheter for your trip...

Last edited:
I've got a halcyon one that came pre-installed and that didn't come with a QD
I didn't think they needed a QD?
Or am i wrong?... I haven't used mine yet, so i'll be spewing as well if you need to buy a QD fitting...

Bob,

The only part you needed to buy to make the P-valve work was the catheter. The quick disconnect is a luxury add on that alot dont use. Sorry if I didnt think to tell you to buy a quick disconnect. I didnt know you wanted a QD, which not many places sell anyway. Catheters can be found at Walgreens and such....

Again, Im sorry if the suit doesnt come with a catheter and Quick disconnect, but I really dont think this should have ruined your expectations. If I did lead you on with anything in your purchase, please tell me so I can make it right. But I really dont think that its our fault for you not having those 2 parts with your suit.....or that those inconveniences should overshadow the rest of your experience and how hard I worked to get all of your pieces in to you in time for your trip, even though alot was backordered from Whites and I still got for your trip, and about a week to find a catheter for your trip...

Mike ... certainly I appreciated your efforts, and I had kept your name out of this conversation for a reason. But I DO think it's a legitimate topic to discuss ... not from a dealer perspective but from a product perspective.

I have catheters ... a whole box of them, in fact. Without some sort of interface between the cath and the tube, there's simply no way to connect the two together. Sure, you can slip the cath over the tube ... but it won't stay connected, and then you'll have a nice mess to clean up. No thanks.

I think being able to use the device without pissing down your leg constitutes a bit more than a luxury.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom