Quick disconnect for second stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hypertech

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've recently completed my DM course. So, now comes the issue of reconfiguring gear if I decide to continue assisting in classes. I have a standard long hose setup which the instructors are OK with. But, it does make air sharing demonstrations a little confusing for the students when my gear is different than theirs.

So, I'm wondering if there is a way to rig up my drysuit hose to work as a drysuit inflator when I'm diving for myself and to pop a second stage on it to serve as an octopus when I'm in the pool with students.

Thoughts?

Just buy a used (cheap) setup configured the way the instructor(s) you work with have. It’ll save the wear and tear on your personal equipment and you’ll want an extra/spare setup soon anyway. Alternatively, just get an extra second stage with the length octo hose you want on it and swap it with your long hose. That only take a couple of minutes, then your bungeed second becomes your primary during training. But why not introduce the students to the long hose concept?

If you’re doing this out of curiosity, the DIY section would yield better results.

I like my stuff and I don't really want to buy another setup - I doubt I'll be making enough to break even on the insurance.

I just thought if I could find a cheap second stage, and put a QD fitting on it, it would solve the regulator problem so that I had an octo like the students without having to buy a new setup.

I don't think there's enough air flow through the standard inflator/drysuit hose......plus you really don't want a 2nd stage on a QR.

I've taught for years using a long hose with students in both regular recreational length hoses and Hogarthian set-up.....not a problem, they get to see different gear configurations.

I could swear I've seen such a thing being sold, just can't remember where right now...that being said, I think a QD 2nd-stage is just a bad idea anyway, a failure/accidental UW disconnection will be much worse than a similiar failure in a HP QD fitting.

The pool is only 8 or 10 feet deep. If the thing craps out its not a long swim up and it won't be used at depth, so I thought the airflow would be OK? Or am I kidding myself?

I don't think there's enough air flow through the standard inflator/drysuit hose...

Agree. Capacity is a real issue, especially the deeper you go. If you really want to go with a QD that will work send me a PM, as there are two that we have found suitable for rebreather BOV operations. The standard drysuit type QDs might be fine for shallow work, but would not deliver enough air (or whatever you're breathing) beyond that.

A QD that fits on an alternate inflator would supply enough flow and the hoses are readily available. Finding the adapter for a QD to 9/16” will be harder to find. Even if you found the qd to 9/16" then you would not be able to hook the hose up to your suit inflator.

Why not just bungee a wrench to your octo hose-the one you'll teach with? You could change out the hoses very quickly.

The pool is only 8 or 10 feet deep. If the thing craps out its not a long swim up and it won't be used at depth, so I thought the airflow would be OK? Or am I kidding myself?

...not too worried about a pool scenario, more worried about students mimicing their instructor and his gadgets, and getting the idea a 2nd-stage LP QD is a good idea for use out in the real world (open water).

Back
Top Bottom