RDP vs eRDPml vs Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about a dive computer that didn't break every time you used it?...//....... :wink:

Not so fast!

I have to skin the battery on my VR3 to insure that it won't momentarily break contact and reset underwater. Horrified at first, but now kinda like it because I lost my absolute trust in the wonky thing.

What I LOVE about the VR3 is that they won't lock out on you.

How about someone making a big, stupidly simple, NDL air dive computer that can be easily read and interfaces to tables by giving ALL the various end-of-dive group letters for NAUI, PADI, NOAA, and USN tables?....
How about asking cellphone manufacturers to add Morse Code to their products?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Where do I get it? I went to the divenav website, and all it does is show you its products, not how to get them......
If you click on the divePAL logo, the website will re-direct you to the proper page.

Are they run on a PC?....

Yes!.
You can download divePal for Windows HERE

divepal_mares_puckt.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

How about asking cellphone manufacturers to add Morse Code to their products?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

You missed the entire point.

To actually understand something, you need to start with the basics. I'm looking for a training aid, something that would not require "computer users to sit over here and tables users to sit over there" while we go over this OW concept. There shouldn't be any big division between tables and computers, they do the same thing. Once exposed to both, make an informed choice as to which suits you best.

That'd entail either:

1) Enforcing every computer manufacturer to use the same algorithm.... and somehow re-writing history so that all tables used the same algorithm also.

or

2) Programming every computer with a selection of algorithms to match the specific table back-ups that the dive used.

...//....2) Programming every computer with a selection of algorithms to match the specific table back-ups that the dive used.

-give the man a cigar. A DC can't handle that? (Notice I didn't add RGBM)

The problem stems from "functionitis" and the need to complicate things because just you can. More than a few divers want the best DC out there then look for the "easy" button.

I shudder to think what the cost implications of that functionality would be. Also, whether DC manufacturers would ever be interested in placing their legal liability into any algorithm that wasn't of their own manufacture or approval.

I also don't think that offering divers a choice of algorithms truly encompasses the spirit of 'simplicity'.

Of course, one answer would be for PADI to sponsor their own version of a dive computer - imprinting it with an algorithm that matched the RDP/eRDPml. That'd cater for the vast proportion of divers. It'd also be coherent from an instructional perspective, given their increasing abdication of responsibility for dive planning towards "just use a computer - see the manufacturers guidelines".

Those other agencies that used Modified USN tables could strike a matching deal with a computer manufacturer also.

To be honest, I'm surprised that PADI didn't already do something like this, rather than fannying around to create the eRDPml... which is just such a tragic 1980's approach to the problem.

...//...one answer would be for PADI to sponsor their own version of a dive computer - imprinting it with an algorithm that matched the RDP/eRDPml. That'd cater for the vast proportion of divers. ....//....To be honest, I'm surprised that PADI didn't already do something like this, rather than fannying around to create the eRDPml... which is just such a tragic 1980's approach to the problem.

-your second cigar for the day!

Why I use se the NOAA table on page VII-1 of the NOAA Diving Manual.
Good idea! If I did I would still be down there doing the mandatory Deco Stops required by the table that my dive computer didn't require.
If you truly do it this way, your students are clueless if their computer craps. Two computers and a buddy with two computers solves this problem to any realistic probability level. They are still clueless, but now it doesn't matter as much.
Please don't make accusations about my students who are properly trained divers using the tools that are available in the 21st century.

How can you be on SCUBAboard if you don't have a computer ( PC or Mac )?

Do you use email?

You missed the entire point.......
Did I? Really?
Why do you want to add to a technologically advanced device (dive computer) an archaic method of indicating nitrogen intake/release (Letters for Pressure Groups)?
There has to be a better way.

....To actually understand something, you need to start with the basics. ....
I agree. 100%

.... I'm looking for a training aid, something that would not require "computer users to sit over here and tables users to sit over there" while we go over this OW concept. ......
A training aid to use where? In your OW classroom? On the boat?
What about just drawing a dive profile and then showing graphically how the nitrogen loading changes during the course of the dive? Maybe even compartment by compartment?
And then simulating a surface interval and showing graphically how the body is off-gassing?
And what about changing the consevatism settings to show how different dive computers might respond to the same dive profile?
This training aid IS available...... unfortunately it is not "agency branded" and you can't sell it.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Back
Top Bottom