reaching the valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
OK ... so I finally get a suit that gives me adequate freedom of motion, and I STILL can't reach my valves.

Tried it with both singles and doubles ... and my arms just don't seem to want to bend that way.

Without the rig on, I can reach back and touch the small of my back. In singles I can reach my first stage easily, but when I "walk" my fingers over to the valve, the tendons in my shoulder feel like they're ready to pop. I can just barely manage to touch the valve, but not enough to grasp and turn it.

In doubles I can reach my manifold valve, but fuggedabout reaching either cylinder valve ... it ain't even close.

Friends who dive doubles tell me this is unusual. Are there some recommended stretching exercises out there for gaining "lateral" flexibility in my joints? Or perhaps there's some technique I'm missing out on?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I had the same problem when I first started diving doubles. I dive neoprene dry and with winter thermals I don't have optimum reach. Shift your bands down on your tanks a bit to raise the position of the valves. I shifted mine just a few inches and it made all the difference in the world.

Bottom line you need to be able to reach your valves. That is much more important than any other adjustments you may need to make if a band shift affects your trim for example.

--Matt

also, for those that dive doubles, never turn the valves open all the way to the stop. if your tank still has high presure , it is harder to start the valve turning and can cause pain, before the dive turn the valves all the way and then back them off 1/16 of a turn, this will " unlock " them

novadiver:
also, for those that dive doubles, never turn the valves open all the way to the stop. if your tank still has high presure , it is harder to start the valve turning and can cause pain, before the dive turn the valves all the way and then back them off 1/16 of a turn, this will " unlock " them

If you go to close a valve and it stops with a pinch of a turn you know you need to turn the other way.

--Matt

matt_unique:
If you go to close a valve and it stops with a pinch of a turn you know you need to turn the other way.

--Matt
yup , but that pinch can make it hard to unpinch. I always remember "left post roll off, right post roll on" when thinking about overhead. this seems to help

NWGratefulDiver:
OK ... so I finally get a suit that gives me adequate freedom of motion, and I STILL can't reach my valves.

Tried it with both singles and doubles ... and my arms just don't seem to want to bend that way.

Without the rig on, I can reach back and touch the small of my back. In singles I can reach my first stage easily, but when I "walk" my fingers over to the valve, the tendons in my shoulder feel like they're ready to pop. I can just barely manage to touch the valve, but not enough to grasp and turn it.

In doubles I can reach my manifold valve, but fuggedabout reaching either cylinder valve ... it ain't even close.

Friends who dive doubles tell me this is unusual. Are there some recommended stretching exercises out there for gaining "lateral" flexibility in my joints? Or perhaps there's some technique I'm missing out on?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Have you tried it in a pool with a 3mm (or less) suit?...that will tell you straight off if its you or your suit (or maybe your undies or a combo of both)

novadiver:
I had the same problem once, a famous cave diver told me my harness shoulder straps were to tight. I gave myself about 2 more inches of strap and it worked out fine. Some of the divers in my tech class had the same problem and the instructor advised them to go into a heads down position when they reach for the isolater and this works also because the tanks come to your hand instead of your hand going to the valve.

good luck and I hope you work it out. this is a vital skill

I have to go into the heads down position a little, or take my free hand, grab the bottom of the tanks, and slide them up my back a little. It depends on where I'm at when I have to do the drill.

Like Mo2vation said...point your elbow forward. you can lay your forarm along side your heah and when you arch your back and lean your head back it will help push your arm back too.

Many people lean their head forward and/or go vertical when they try which just further limits your reach. Make sure you stay horizontal, reach back, arch and lean your head back.

You shouldn't need to go head down especially if your harness is adjused right. Besides if you were in a class with a sly instructor they might have your buddy swim off while you were doing your shutdowns to see if you'd notice. LOL

Make sure your harness is adjusted properly. Dont look at a web site on how to adjust it because it differs for everyone. Keep adjusting the harness until you are able to reach them. Adjust the bands if you have to but only slightly. Remember the start of the top band should be even with the start of the curve of the tank or just below. The harness i believe is the biggest hinderance to reaching the valves. If you are wearing a drysuit. At the surface or just below when you are running your drill, stretch your arms out in front of you. You should feel the underwear and the suit sit back a little, giving you a little more motion in your arms reach. Let some gas out of your wing, and add a hair of gas to the suit it will also help. Still though the biggest problem i think is more than likely the harness is: to tight, to loose, etc.

J.D. MISLAK:
...Remember the start of the top band should be even with the start of the curve of the tank or just below.... QUOTE]

Unless you have HP steel 80's (aka peanuts) with limited band real estate there is no reason you cannot shift your bands any distance you like. They need to fit your BP/W and you need to be aware of trim of course. If the bands are too low the valves could be right behind your head which would be uncomfortable.

When I first began using doubles I had my bands set relatively low on the tank to assist with valve access. I have since moved the bands a bit higher with an increase in flexibility.

Beyond some of these obvious limitations you can place your bands anywhere on the tanks you like. Some divers shift the bands lower because they tend to be bottom heavy as well (not relating to valve access).

--Matt

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Have you tried "inverting" you tank, this is so the valves are at the bottom, ive ehared people do this before but im not sure if its profeshonal or safe, also i guess ull need to mod some other equptment such as reg tube length.

Dom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom