reaching the valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Muzzwezz:
Have you tried "inverting" you tank, this is so the valves are at the bottom, ive ehared people do this before but im not sure if its profeshonal or safe, also i guess ull need to mod some other equptment such as reg tube length.

Dom
Dom - its been covered elsewhere in more detail, but the main problem would be relative to you putting the tanks down, or sitting down back on the boat (or to rig up on a truck bed/bench), the valves would be the first thing to contact the "floor" and as such you could damage them.

As for reaching my valves, i find the isolator is harder than the post valves in my DS, wet i can hit all of them. I am thinking of lifting my bands up a bit as they might be a bit low for trim, now i am getting used to the set-up and a bit more flexible in the DS. I found loosening the harness a touch really helped - the difference in that solid locked in feeling it marginal compared to a tighter harness that i use on my wetsuit in singles.

brucebowker:
Unbuckle the waist band and lift the tank up higher and towards your head..

Which works in an environment where you can get away with doing that. But what do you do if you're in a restriction, or don't have the use of both hands?

If you're going to dive doubles, you should be able to reach your valves, without assistance. Otherwise you're a threat to yourself and your team. It's not easy - it's an issue I continue to have problems with. But after a lengthy shoulder stretching regimen, and getting a suit and underwear which fit properly, I'm getting there.

Try this: Reach directly back, grab the manifold with one hand and then pull the tanks up towards your head then hold the manifold with one hand while working the valve with the other. Before anyone jumps on me I did this exact same thing in DIRF and passed the valve drill and was told "that was impressive" So give it a try.

Note this must be done while horizontal of course.

simbrooks:
Dom - its been covered elsewhere in more detail, but the main problem would be relative to you putting the tanks down, or sitting down back on the boat (or to rig up on a truck bed/bench), the valves would be the first thing to contact the "floor" and as such you could damage them.

For info - one of my buddies dives with inverted tanks, and I know a few other people who do. The "valve damage" issue is resolved by using a valve guard (cage?). The set then rests on the guard rather than the valves, protecting them from damage.

I think using the valve guard introduces other issues, but it does seem to work for some people.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom