REAL Ohio Divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're carving pumpkins for fun Oct. 29 if you want to join us at Gilboa. There's a post about it in this section.

Hubby and I are planning to do the New Years dive also, hopefully Mike will have the quarry open on weekends this winter as I finally have a job that gives me weekends off :)
Ber :lilbunny:

everdeeper:
Well, if you are stating that solo diving is one of the AA guidelines, than I agree to a point. I discussed this with several other cave divers and they said that as long as a "buddy bottle" was brought along, all would be fine. Do you disagree?

Only if your buddy bottle is attached to a brain! :D In that case, I think a buddy['s] bottle is great! :05:

Hey WB what's hanging besides your deco bottle?
Anyway, thought I would drop in and see what is going on. Hmmm real Ohio divers huh? Might just have to come back for the January dive, if it is possible. What do you think WB seeing we have yet to do a dive.

everdeeper:
Are there 10 AA guidelines? I only count 5? Please refresh: Training, guideline, air, depth, lights. That is what I got.

When Sheck Exley wrote "Basic Cave Diving -- A Blueprint for Survival", there were 10 accidents that were detailed and analyzed. Each fell under various topically areas that were later derived into "rules". I miss-stated when I said there were 10 distinct rules that are generally accepted, was thinking about the ten areas of analysis. This book was required reading for my course.

You are right, however, solo isn't specifically called out, but has only been debated as needing to be added... but Sheck, the analysis author, (with over 2000 pioneering cave dives to his credit) ended up dead during his solo depth attempt in a cave... yes there were others in the water, but they weren't together. Also, in the last couple of [?4] years, another highly respected cave diver with a multitude of cave dives, Steve Berman, passed away on a solo cave dive.

I don't know about you, but they are better cave divers than me. Also, I have a profound respect for the positive attributes of a good cave buddy team. There's no substitute for a good "back-up" brain, and the only way I've found to carry one is to bring a competent buddy along. :D Lack of air is not the only dilemna one might face in a cave, so the buddy bottle is of "limited" value-add.

Not meaning to turn this into a debate... just trying to assess the viability a "future" buddy. :D

Squalus:
Anyway, thought I would drop in and see what is going on. Hmmm real Ohio divers huh? Might just have to come back for the January dive, if it is possible. What do you think WB seeing we have yet to do a dive.

If you drove all the way from Kansas back to Ohio to brave a January dive, far be it from me to say I wouldn't dive with you!

What made you change your mind and decide to dive with me? Was the water too warm the last time we were at Gilboa?? :D [i'm kidding... that was a joke!]

regards,
bob

wb416:
Only if your buddy bottle is attached to a brain! :D In that case, I think a buddy['s] bottle is great! :05:
So what are you saying here?
My bottle isn't good enough for you????? :joke:

Oh I luv to stir the pot!!!

Not meaning to turn this into a debate... just trying to assess the viability a "future" buddy. :D[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying, and you are right about diving with a buddy as a second brain. I just have a problem if that second brain kills me. I guess in order to cave dive with somoeone, you need to be comfortable with their skills. Sounds to me like you are a confident diver and have been in the water for a long time. Any Gilboa dives planned for you in the near future so we can meet and continue this "assessment" in the water?

Squalus:
I am up for a January dive. Let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom