Really dumb question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm an air hog as well I have 2 steel tanks 120 and 149. The guys at the LDS make fun of me but dive twin 100s so I don't really get where they are coming from but that's besides the point.

If they're getting 2 dives out of 200 cu-ft of gas, then that's probably where they are coming from...

Not picking on you. I'm an air hog, too. I almost always dive with double 120s.

I always know what is in my tank at the time and set the computer accordingly, as one should. I just meant that I couldn't remember if I have done any dives on air off the top of my head.

I always know what is in my tank at the time and set the computer accordingly, as one should. I just meant that I couldn't remember if I have done any dives on air off the top of my head.

I knew what you meant...my comment was just meant to be tongue-in-cheek in regard to the lecture you received by an earlier poster about nearly killing yourself due to not knowing what gas you were using.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't think????
This is very dangerous you need to be sure what gas your breathing. Your life depends on it.
From my perspective, the OP never implied that he didn't know what gas he was breathing during a dive, only that he didn't recall if he had used anything except nitrox on his ~20 previous dives (probably, without having his log book in front of him).

Frankly, I don't keep mental track of what gas I used a week ago - I put it in a log book, that's what the log is for. And, if you ask me what I used a week ago, I may very well say something like, 'I think I used air for that dive.'

His question was not about nitrox, it was about cylinder 'compatibility' with his BCD.

From my perspective, the OP never implied that he didn't know what gas he was breathing during a dive, only that he didn't recall if he had used anything except nitrox on his ~20 previous dives (probably, without having his log book in front of him).

Frankly, I don't keep mental track of what gas I used a week ago - I put it in a log book, that's what the log is for. And, if you ask me what I used a week ago, I may very well say something like, 'I think I used air for that dive.'

His question was not about nitrox, it was about cylinder 'compatibility' with his BCD.
sure but your a tech instructor with between 1000-2500 dives. you use different and multiple gases regularly. its a totally different comparison
I knew what you meant...my comment was just meant to be tongue-in-cheek in regard to the lecture you received by an earlier poster about nearly killing yourself due to not knowing what gas you were using.
In his own words he got his nitrox cert and his OW together.
he doesn't think he's used air on his last dozen dives from when he got certified which I read as 15 maybe 20 dives total. if you switch between gases regularly on different dives sure i can see why you cant remember which specific gas you used on a specific dive but I just cant fathom not remembering if Ive ever used a specific gas in such a short diving history outside of your OW training.
i also didn't say he nearly killed himself. I said he could if he doesn't know what he's breathing.

To DriverDiver apparently I was in the wrong since multiple people pointed it out so Im sorry for criticizing your choice of wording. its good you know whats in the tank, its important.

In his own words he got his nitrox cert and his OW together.
he doesn't think he's used air on his last dozen dives from when he got certified which I read as 15 maybe 20 dives total. if you switch between gases regularly on different dives sure i can see why you cant remember which specific gas you used on a specific dive but I just cant fathom not remembering if Ive ever used a specific gas in such a short diving history outside of your OW training.
i also didn't say he nearly killed himself. I said he could if he doesn't know what he's breathing.

To DriverDiver apparently I was in the wrong since multiple people pointed it out so Im sorry for criticizing your choice of wording. its good you know whats in the tank, its important.

Hey, no hard feelings. It was purely a tongue-in-cheek comment but perhaps nuances that would've been perceived in person were lost via text over the internet. My original post was removed by a MOD because it could be seen as snarky, which it wasn't meant to be, but I accept the call anyway.

Anyway, you are right, of course we must be careful about knowing what gas we're diving! but I never got the impression from DriverDiver's comments that he was getting confused or being complacent. I saw it was a throw away comment cos he couldn't remember off the top of his head which dives were air and which were Nitrox, and that aspect was off-topic. I'm sure (would hope!) he's fully aware of the risks, especially considering how recently he's done the courses.

Safe diving buddies :clearmask:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom