Reason to wear wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Claustrophobia with too much neoprene. Yes, been there, and you lose at least 2 degrees through stress. Lavacore - always worn this kind of suit - anyone remember Darlex? Lavacore is excellent, front zip, easy to put on and take off, flexible and gain at least 2 degrees. And they're very easy to pee in, flows straight through = gain more degrees. Or use the two-way zip which undoes from the bottom as well as from the top. Add a hat and gain at least another degree. Not worried about stingers in the water = less worry = gain more degrees.

I had a lavacore top and bottom I 1st brought on a Turks and Caicos Christmas trip, quickly paired it with a 3mm suit and froze my a** off anyway.

7mm is all we use in Coz at this time of the year. Comfy cosy. Even wore them on our SI today but the sun did come out for the 2nd dive thankfully. As did the biggest lion fish, way out in the open and got quickly speared. Yikes was he big.

7mm is all we use in Coz at this time of the year. Comfy cosy.

Wow! I'd get heat stroke and be literally sweating wearing a 7mm in Cozumel... even now. I didn't see anybody wearing a 7mm when I was there at the end of March last year. Most were wearing 3mm full dive suits with a hood or hat. I had my 2mm jacket with a rash guard underneath and was comfortable on 85 minute dives... but I "run hot" and am sort of near the extreme in terms of cold tolerance.

I'd need to use the boats anchor to get down in a 7mm. My goodness, I just use a rash guard and I'm a pretty big cold water sissy.

I'd need to use the boats anchor to get down in a 7mm.
That would be dangerous.

I used to know a diver who wore a dry suit there in August. Tolerances vary.

With a steel 120 my son uses 1lb, I use 4lb (but would use 3lb if possible) and my wife uses 6-8. Those steels make for awesome dives. Maracaibo for 60mins with 10 pez lion speared with 4 fully grown beasts.

We get cold easily and don’t have much built in insulation and not getting cold on a dive is huge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom