Rebreather Training Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
It might be silly question though. I need your insights and advices

I am ready to get into the tech diving world. But, my ultimate goal is a rebreather.

So, I don’t want to waste my money and time by taking unnecessary courses. My training level is a nitrox, rescue and scientific diving. I am only interested in CCR.

[font=&#48148]1. [/font]Should I have to take any tech courses before touching rebreather?

[font=&#48148]2. [/font]If there is a pre-requisite tech course, what tech diving course do I need to take?

[font=&#48148]3. [/font]Is there any good rebreather instructor in Mid-west?

[font=&#48148]4. [/font]If then, who do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

hoosier:
I am ready to get into the tech diving world. But, my ultimate goal is a rebreather.
Is rebreather the goal or the tool to reach the goal?
What kind of diving do you do now, what dives are you planning on doing on a CCR?
Are extended range dives the reason to switch to CCR, filming/photo, scientific research?

[font=&#48148]2. [/font]If there is a pre-requisite tech course, what tech diving course do I need to take?
Some agencies require advanced nitrox certification.

[font=&#48148]3. [/font]Is there any good rebreather instructor in Mid-west?
Do you choose the CCR by availability of an instructor in that area?
Or are you going to figure out what rebreather suits your needs and wants best,
and then look for a suitable instructor?

It would be much easier to answer your questions if you'd be a bit more specific. :wink:

[font=&#48148]1. [/font]I mean that Rebreather is my final step in terms of scuba training to meet my interest, scientific research.

[font=&#48148]2. [/font]So, advanced nitrox certification is only one before taking any rebreather training course? I am supposed to take advanced nitrox and DP this summer from TDI

[font=&#48148]3. [/font]I don’t have any clues which rebreather works for me at this moment. My guide line is

[font=&#48148]a. [/font]It must be the most popular CCR

[font=&#48148]b. [/font]It must be the easiest CCR to get the part and maintain anywhere in the world

[font=&#48148]c. [/font]And then cost.

So far what I am heard is “Inspiron” though.

caveseeker7:
Is rebreather the goal or the tool to reach the goal?
What kind of diving do you do now, what dives are you planning on doing on a CCR?
Are extended range dives the reason to switch to CCR, filming/photo, scientific research?

Some agencies require advanced nitrox certification.

Do you choose the CCR by availability of an instructor in that area?
Or are you going to figure out what rebreather suits your needs and wants best,
and then look for a suitable instructor?

It would be much easier to answer your questions if you'd be a bit more specific. :wink:

... you're getting closer. :)
hoosier:
[font=&#48148]1. [/font]I mean that Rebreather is my final step in terms of scuba training to meet my interest, scientific research.
Depending what you do in your research, you should probably consider a couple of thhings. Will over the shoulder mounted counterlungs interfere with you tasks, for example. You probably want a HUD so you can monitor your system or at least your pO2 handsfree. The operating depth plays into it, too, as some units are better designs for deeper dives than others. Rich Pyle is famous for his dives to the 'twilight zone' between 200 fsw and 400 fsw, discovering new species. He uses the Cis-Lunar MK5P, a rare, expensive, high end unit build for extreme dives.

Researchers an FL and Mexico (from CA) use PRISM Topaz CCRs for their research, as does the USNPS. One of the PRISM instructors actually specializes in working with researchers. That unit comes with a HUD and an analog secondary display. Very lightweight (47lbs ready to dive) and long scrubber duration (300 min).

The Megalodon has proven to be quite popular and offers an optional HUD on the base electronics or deco integrated electronics that include the HUD but have no secondary display. Very versatile as tanks are mounted onto an aluminum scrubber housing rather than in a case. Easier to travel amd choice of tanks. Same duration as Inspiration (180 min).

[font=&#48148]2. [/font]So, advanced nitrox certification is only one before taking any rebreather training course? I am supposed to take advanced nitrox and DP this summer from TDI
It should be. I took ANDI's CSU training, that was enough for NAUI CCR training.

[font=&#48148]3. [/font]I don’t have any clues which rebreather works for me at this moment. My guide line is

[font=&#48148]a. [/font]It must be the most popular CCR
That is without doubt the APD Inspiration. The Classic doesn't have HUD, something to consider. The newer Vision comes with a HUD and offers optional deco integration. Something to consider. Setback is a backlog of around 10 months ... they are popular.

[font=&#48148]b. [/font]It must be the easiest CCR to get the part and maintain anywhere in the world
The easiest CCR to maintain is likely the Sport Kiss, and also one of the easiet to travel with. But it's a manually controlled unit with a wristmounted display only.

APD has the largest dealer base of any rebreather manufacturer, but in most parts of the world they're still few and between. So for parts and remote maintainance/advice I'd go with a company that offers good support and accessability. Jetsam (KISS), Steam Machines (PRISM) and Innerspace (Megalodon) are all well known for that. Innerspace and Steam Machines also offer factory maintainance training for such special needs. The PRISM I know is very easy to maintain. The Meg also looks pretty good in that regard.

[font=&#48148]c. [/font]And then cost.
Inspiration Classic around $7,600 without options (like ADV)
Inspiration Vision around $10,000 with options

PRISM Topaz $7,800 only option is cowling $250 everything else stock

Megalodon APECS II $7,500 without options (like ADV, HUD etc)
Megalodon Shearwater around $10,000 including options (ADV)

caveseeker7:
Inspiration Classic around $7,600 without options (like ADV)
Inspiration Vision around $10,000 with options

corrected pricing

Inspiration [font=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]complete with harness, 16Kg wing style BC, Auto air. Fitted with standard electronics $7,299.00

Inspiration [font=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]complete with harness, 16Kg wing style BC, Auto air. Fitted with [/font]Vision [font=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]electronics with HUD, PC download and Logviewer software $8,599.00

[/font][font=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
OPTIONS

[font=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]22.5Kg wing style BC $100.00
Emergency 0.4 litre cylinder with DIN 5/8” connection or international A-Clamp $110.00
RB70​
[font=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Automatic Diluent Valve (ADV) $439.99 [/font]​
[font=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]With rebreather purchase $300.00

[/font]
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold][/font]​
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold][/font]​
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Only available for Inspirations with Vision electronics

[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Options[/font]: [font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]RB90 [/font]Scrubber Monitor $600.00
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]SWNX Nitrox Deco Software $300.00[/font]
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]SWTX Trimix Deco Software $300.00

Evolution complete with Auto Air, integrated weight jacket or wing style BC with harness. Fitted with Vision electronics with HUD’s, PC download and Logviewer software $8,599.00
[font=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]

(same options and prices as Inspiration with Vision)​

[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

The prices I quoted were from a local APD dealer.
padiscubapro:
corrected pricing
Inspiration complete with harness, 16Kg wing style BC, Auto air. Fitted with Vision electronics with HUD, PC download and Logviewer software $8,599.00

Scrubber Monitor $600.00
Nitrox Deco Software $300.00
Trimix Deco Software $300.00
That's $1,200 in option and $8,599 for the unit, total is $9,799 ... that's around $10,000, isn't it?
And the ADV is mentioned nowhere, according to the dealer a $350 option.
That would bring the total to $10,149, still around $10,000 ... don't know if the
shutoff is included in that, though.

In addtion, how can I find a right place to get trained in my area, Indiana? Do you have any recommendation about a facility and instructor?

caveseeker7:
The prices I quoted were from a local APD dealer.

That's $1,200 in option and $8,599 for the unit, total is $9,799 ... that's around $10,000, isn't it?
And the ADV is mentioned nowhere, according to the dealer a $350 option.
That would bring the total to $10,149, still around $10,000 ... don't know if the
shutoff is included in that, though.

There is a package price vorinspiration/evolution

Inspiration/evolution Loaded………Complete Vision HUD Electronics $9,899.00​

(includes: HUD, ADV, Nitrox & Trimix Software, Scrubber Life Monitor TempStix)

Payment is made directly to SDS for newunits (the local shopmay be selling a store stock unit for an additional markup)

I added the ADV option to the prevpost, somehow I left it out.. (your price was the pric WITH an ADV)

from another price list the 22.5 kg wing (only) upgrade is $60

hoosier:
In addtion, how can I find a right place to get trained in my area, Indiana? Do you have any recommendation about a facility and instructor?
If you decide on an Inspiraton and don'tmind driving a few Hours, I an set you up with an instructor in Cincinati That I trained..

How long does it take to complete the requried trainings? I just check out your homepage. I might get a training in N.Y when I visit my family at Long Island :)

Back
Top Bottom