"Recent Visitors" or Stalkers?

How often will you view Public Profiles now that visitors are ID'd?

• Less often.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • About the same.

Votes: 100 63.3%
  • More often.

Votes: 11 7.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

- im stalking all ten thousand members in my spare time :lotsalove:
AW,
Is 'spare time' kinda like 'spare air'? :D
Or is it more like the '500' you are supposed to leave in your tank?
And I agree that there should be an option if folks want to be in stealth mode or not. I don't care.. but some obviously do.

And I agree that there should be an option if folks want to be in stealth mode or not. I don't care.. but some obviously do.
Yeah!!! You can't stalk properly if you're not in stealth mode...

All that bright light...... :11:

Stalkers rights need protecting! Let's get rid of disclosure! :D

As a new member, I'm still exploring SB, and part of that is seeing who is a memeber, and what kind diving activities they are in to. I think its a good think thats all part of the interaction...

What's the point of having a public profile if you don't expect/want people to view it?

If people are that worried about visitors then maybe there shouldn't be profiles at all!!! (that's not a serious suggestion...)

I already said this in another thread about the topic but… I don’t mind my profile viewed, after all I can control how much detail I disclose there. However, I appreciate some anonymity about my actions on the internet, and I dislike my browsing paths being tracked.

I notice that this new function has affected my viewing patterns whether the reason is as juvenile as boycotting or as innocent as being a little shy about announcing my curiosity – or just being a bit weird.

I certainly do not think the profiles should be removed, I wish people would put more stuff in there.

Yeah!!! You can't stalk properly if you're not in stealth mode...

All that bright light...... :11:

Stalkers rights need protecting! Let's get rid of disclosure! :D

:rofl3:

A little clarification might be needed, so I'll rephrase this issue.

The issue is about whether the new feature of showing the ID's of "Recent visitors" will inhibit people from wanting to view Public Profiles.

That appears to be the case for a substantial percentage of people.

Simple.

It's not about the value or purpose of the Public Profile; it's a great source of info freely given.

It's not about whether checking someone's Public Profile is stalking; that's unlikely.

I ask again, what positive benefit is there to being able to see the ID of recent visitors to a Public Profile and does it outweigh the apparent negative effect?

DivingPrincessE has mentioned satisfying curiosity.

Anyone else?

Dave C

help.. I can see who looked at others members profiles, but I can't see who looked at mine. Is that the way it's supposed to work???
Wrong, look again.
I fell like Dave does, not quite right. One thing that El Orans pointed out though, you can always log out and stalk anonymously... :wink:
You can stay logged in on Fire Fox and log out on Explorer to peek anonymously.

Anyone else?
Maybe I'm weird, but I kinda like knowing who looked at me! :D

It's like knowing who pushed your front doorbell....rather than pushed and ran away so I wouldn't know. :14:

I think there was FAR more room for genuine stalking....i.e. viewing someone surreptitiously without their knowledge... with the old system, than now.

Before, no one had a clue who was looking at them....or how often...
Now.....well......people can notice.

All these fears about Big Brother are actually ridiculous. The owner of the software can see EXACTLY what everyone is doing. What else did you think?

What functionality he chooses to impart to the rest of us will always be a percentage of the whole - and a percentage that can be controlled by level of access.

There's nothing you can do online that's secret. If you aren't aware of that, you probably shouldn't be posting anything. :eyebrow:

Last edited:
My only issue is that I get curious as to what they are looking for. I see screen names of people I've never interacted with. I just wonder what they are interested in knowing about me.

My only issue is that I get curious as to what they are looking for. I see screen names of people I've never interacted with. I just wonder what they are interested in knowing about me.
Maybe they read something you posted in a thread....and were curious as to who might have posted that.....and that opinion....or thought that way?

That's normally the reason I personally will look at someone elses profile.

Back
Top Bottom