Recipe for Trouble: Pressuring a Diver to Make a Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Ingrassia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was on a live-aboard this summer one beautiful week off West Palm Beach. There were about a dozen divers aboard, paying customers and a crew of 5.

To make a long story short, one of the divers brought his girlfriend along. This person insisted on making a dive to a twin prop aircraft somewhat out of the way and at a depth of 130'. No one wanted to go, but his one diver insisted so, we sat it out.

At the dive site the diver's girlfriend was struggling to get her gear on. We asked if we could help, but the boyfriend responded that she was a little nervous at diving below 100' but that she'd be okay.
The woman definitely did not look okay and said something under her breath about having dove only to 40'. The two argued briefly before jumping off.

Less than ten minutes later, a diver popped up off the bow waving their hands. It was the woman and she was in trouble. the captain and crew did an amazing job getting the woman onboard. We could see there was something wrong with her as she shuffled across the deck, bowed over and looking very frail.

The crew applied oxygen immediately and after a few moments, the woman regained her composure. She said her equipment was not working and she was not getting enough air. The crew questioned her a bit more and learned that as she was making a slow decent, her boyfriend and the other divers went fins up and power dove down to the plane to offset the strong current, leaving the woman behind. She tried to follow but at 90' she could not find him, any of the other divers, the plane....or the bottom.

And never having been that deep before added to the fear of being alone coupled with her nervousness before she got in the water caused her stress level to skyrocket to panic mode.

Hyperventilating, the woman was building up dangerous levels of Co2 at an alarming rate. Her brain was reading oxygen starvation which, is why she thought her equipment failed. Many people in this terrible state spit out their regulators. The woman kept hers in but did the next worse thing. She bolted to the surface without a safety stop.

Meanwhile below, the dive master saw he was missing people and came to the surface. Seeing the woman, he realized he was missing the boyfriend and went back down to search. The boyfriend, it turned out took off looking for his girlfriend without notifying anyone. They picked him up almost a mile away, out of air and exhausted.

Back onboard the boyfriend had a moment of rage because his GF failed to tell him she was going back up. "How could I, you were gone?"

Lessons learned...........

I wouldn't bet my money that the boyfriend learned anything. And if someone had bitch-slapped him for his actions, I would probably have been completely unable to see or hear anything of that. "Your honor, I was way too busy checking my gear. It's of course possible that the defendant had a physical altercation with the plaintiff, but I didn't observe anything like that".

"Most dive accidents begin on the beach."
-- Some smart diver.

When my oldest was getting her cert card, I always stressed to her that she owned every aspect of her dive, and if she wasn't comfortable, not going was a perfectly acceptable thing to do. Being a teenage girl, she was susceptible to peer pressure, it took a bit for her to get that "I don't feel like diving" is the only excuse anyone needed to call a dive, and if anyone gave them grief over it, they weren't worth talking too, anyway.

So it's her final checkout dive prep. She's sitting on a bench in her wet suit, shivering cold, and obviously in some discomfort. I just watched to see what she was gonna do. She did the right thing. Called her own checkout dive!

I was very proud of her.

"Most dive accidents begin on the beach."
-- Some smart diver.

When my oldest was getting her cert card, I always stressed to her that she owned every aspect of her dive, and if she wasn't comfortable, not going was a perfectly acceptable thing to do. Being a teenage girl, she was susceptible to peer pressure, it took a bit for her to get that "I don't feel like diving" is the only excuse anyone needed to call a dive, and if anyone gave them grief over it, they weren't worth talking too, anyway.

So it's her final checkout dive prep. She's sitting on a bench in her wet suit, shivering cold, and obviously in some discomfort. I just watched to see what she was gonna do. She did the right thing. Called her own checkout dive!

I was very proud of her.

In St Mary's GA, I saw a Dive Instructor and a Dad talk this teenage girl into a dive she didn't want to make. She was a thin little thing and shivering on the surface. Her lips were trembling on the regulator and as she was pulling herself along the tag line, she decided to call the dive....but you're daughter did the right thing

And this is exactly why I cancelled the Cayman trip I was going to do with a friend (as part of a larger group) next summer. No $$ had been shelled out. Friend was insisting we would be buddied up, that I would dive down to 100' and do swim throughs, regardless of my comfort level.

Not just no, but hell no.

Numerous people commented in my thread that tropical diving is so easy and you'll be fine, totally disregarding my views on being "forced to do something."

I'll remember to bring up this incident with the girl with the next time someone tries to convince me otherwise.

Last edited:
Friend was insisting we would be buddies up, that I would dive down to 100' and do swim throughs, regardless of my comfort level.

Not just no, but hell no.
Kudos.

I've done the same thing. Our dive guide was miffed that we (politely, but firmly) declined the "offer" to enter a cave at 40m, but that really wasn't my problem.

Stay within your limits. Your life, your decision.

Hyperventilating, the woman was building up dangerous levels of Co2 at an alarming rate. Her brain was reading oxygen starvation which, is why she thought her equipment failed.

Good story and the point is clear.
To nitpick details, hyperventilating by definition creates low levels of CO2. Very low levels of CO2 can make you feel pretty weird. Anxiety > hyperventilate > low CO2 > feel weird, get more anxious > hyperventilate worse.....vicious cycle. People end up in the ER with this issue. Divers doing this frequently think they are low on air or building up CO2 when in fact it is the opposite.

Mark,
How did the rest of the passengers respond to the BF the rest of the trip? I am just curious of the mood.

Back
Top Bottom