Recommendations for a depth/pressure gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's the price difference in air only and nitrox capable? I do plan on getting nitrox certified eventually.

most modern computers are all at least nitrox capable up to 40%...
The older air-only ones can be had for like $50 and I think that is what he was talking about. I.e. Sherwood "The Source". Has user replaceable batteries, air only, simple simple computer but works really well.

Busy day, took a while to respond.

I'm suggesting simplicity for your first dive computer. Not much new here, you can see agreement with previous posters in my thoughts below.

What's the price difference in air only and nitrox capable? I do plan on getting nitrox certified eventually.

A "comprehend at a glance" computer that asks nothing of you with respect to dive-programming would be a valuable addition while chasing dinner. There is elegance in using gear optimized for the task at hand. Sometimes "simple" gives you the very best long term performance and overall value. It will likely become a favorite piece of gear.

I keyed on your word, "eventually". Eventually, you'll know if you just want single nitrox or you need gas switch (2, 3, or more mixes), deep stops, dive planning capability, bottom timer mode, etc... Easy to buy too much, too little, or awkward controls if you jump now. I would suggest that you wait until you know exactly what you want. If you want some nitrox capability now, no problem, but look at a really simple single-gas model and know that you just upped the complexity and cost.

most modern computers are all at least nitrox capable up to 40%...
The older air-only ones can be had for like $50 and I think that is what he was talking about. I.e. Sherwood "The Source". Has user replaceable batteries, air only, simple simple computer but works really well.

Spot on! Something like that would be ideal.

My family who I dive with are all in the same "boat" with you.

On a very tight budget-
A simple SPG single gauge console, and get an analog depth gauge and put in on a wrist boot to monitor depth. We do a lot of hookah diving. I have 2 depth guages on wrist boots just for that purpose-to monitor our depth.

On a bigger budget-
A simple SPG gauge with an AIR ONLY computer with wrist boot (you can pick these up for around 150 new. Veo 100 I think you can find pretty regularly

On a nicer budget-
Single SPG console with a nitrox compatable wrist boot computer. There are a few here for sale. Used is fine in my opinon. Just buy from a quiality seller/store

Bigger budget-
SPG/Nitrox compatable computer console and do not worry about the wrist boot. When diving for lobsters, I do not like using my wrist boot.

Personal preferenece if you'd rather go with a console type set up or wrist boot. All the "new" divers I dive with like wrist boots for their depth/computer. All are the same computer, just different housings (boot vs. console).

I have a subgear XP 10, and it is great.
As for a cheap BC you could go with a BW&W set-up as they tend to be pretty inexpensive especially when you don't need a heavy plate to keep you down.
I would take a look on ebay, I have seen used nirtox computers go for sub $100 Canadian (so sub $120 American) and used gauge consoles go for $20.
I am a big fan of wrist mounting the computer but you may have a different preference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom