Recommendations for a depth/pressure gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nevek

Registered
Reaction score
For my birthday my parents bought me a new regulator setup. I figure it's a hint for me to stop using their stuff and to get my own. So now I am in the hunt for a BC, depth and pressure gauges and a tank. Any recommendations for sometime not too fancy/ expensive but quality that will last a while? Most of my dives are 30-65 feet in FL for lobster.

If you're really on a budget, I recommend getting a used, nitrox-capable dive computer on Ebay or Craigslist. The computers that dive shops use as rental computers are generally pretty rugged and are a good value. The Oceanic puck-style computers and Suunto Gekko/Zoop are good choices.

For an SPG, I'd recommend getting a simple brass-and-glass SPG. You can attach a stainless steel bolt-snap near the hose swivel to clip it off to your BCD while diving.

If you're really on a budget, I recommend getting a used, nitrox-capable dive computer on Ebay or Craigslist. The computers that dive shops use as rental computers are generally pretty rugged and are a good value. The Oceanic puck-style computers and Suunto Gekko/Zoop are good choices.

For an SPG, I'd recommend getting a simple brass-and-glass SPG. You can attach a stainless steel bolt-snap near the hose swivel to clip it off to your BCD while diving.

+1 to what he said.

… Most of my dives are 30-65 feet in FL for lobster.

If you're really on a budget, I recommend getting a used, nitrox-capable dive computer on Ebay or Craigslist. …

If you are really on a budget, why spend more on a used Nitrox computer for such shallow water? There are a lot more used air computers around from everyone upgrading to Nitrox. If it takes as little as two years before you decide to go Nitrox, if ever, you can probably upgrade then for way less total money and get a better computer. Just like any other computer, you have to figure on a 2-5 year life before it dies or something much better and cheaper comes along.

I have a suunto console that I'll sell you for fairly cheap. Has SPG and depth gauge on it.
Suunto Analog Double Gauge
the that one. It's in good shape and is upgradeable to stick a computer in there if you want. Just don't use consoles a whole lot. For stuff that shallow and for lobster it's probably better than a separate spg and computer imho. I still use a console with an old cheap air computer if I'm doing shallow reef dives. An old Sherwood "the source", and it works fine, and it's one less thing to have to worry about losing or falling off of the boat etc

You can get a three gauge console like an Oceanic VEO 1.0 w/ SPG & Compass for around $400...cheaper if you totally ignore the LDS that loves you and buy it from ebay or craigslist. An analog console will run you about half that AND whatever the price of a good submersible dive watch runs...which could range from $50 to a gagillion like this Rolex I dive with *BLING*

(jffknapp does not dive with a Rolex...or a Folex for that matter but his dive computer is pretty spectacular *BLING* :)

If you are really on a budget, why spend more on a used Nitrox computer for such shallow water? There are a lot more used air computers around from everyone upgrading to Nitrox. If it takes as little as two years before you decide to go Nitrox, if ever, you can probably upgrade then for way less total money and get a better computer. Just like any other computer, you have to figure on a 2-5 year life before it dies or something much better and cheaper comes along.
Akimbo makes an excellent point. 2-5 years down the road dive computers will have a more sophisticated feature set (wireless air-integration, customizable displays, OLED?) at a lower price than today's computers. For a diver who isn't even nitrox-certified or who dives air most of the time, an air-only computer can be a great value.

I mentioned getting a used, nitrox-capable computer just in case one was available at a good price. The last used computer I purchased was a Suunto Vyper (nitrox-capable, gauge mode, wrist-mount, backlight, Mac/PC downloadable, user-replaceable battery) for $100. Used air-only computers (and sometimes even new ones) can be found in the $50-$100 range. Compare this to the cost of an analog depth gauge + dive watch.

Whats the real benefit to a computer? Ive never used one before and was just looking for a depth gauge and a air pressure gauge.

Whats the real benefit to a computer? Ive never used one before and was just looking for a depth gauge and a air pressure gauge.

The computer makes constant updates to your NDLs based on times spent at varying depths. It allows for a much more realistic (and typically longer) dive time compared to the square profiles of diving by the tables.

For a BCD I would recomend the Cressi Travel Light. It is an incredable travel BCD that packs up really small and is an inexpensive buy. If you are doing a lot of local diving I recomend the TUSA Conquest. This BCD is very confortable and has a lot of very nice features. I dive with the conquest myself and I love it. As far as gauges I would go with a computer. They are safer and give you more bottem time. It is not that much more to upgrade to a computer from gauges. I would recomend the VEO 1.0 by Oceanic. This is a great entry level computer that does everything you need it to do. The best thing is they make them in Oakland CA. So made in good old USA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom