recommendations for multiuse BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been using my Tusa Platina for about 5 years with about 200 dives. I'm looking to replace it with something that can be configured with either a single or doubles; and, can grow with me as I start into some Tec courses. I prefer back mounted tanks as my preferences are more toward wrecks over cave diving.

Are there many BCD's out there that can be configured in such a multi-use way? I've seen the Dive Rite Transpac XT. What others should I consider?

My Tusa just doesn't have enough features for moving into Tec. There wasn't enough d-ring placements for a 40cf pony when I got my solo cert. A back plate/wing would be much more useful.

Thanks for the recommendations...
:cheers:
Steve

Deep Sea Supply, call them. Buy what Tobin tells you to. Nothing will work well for singles and doubles as far as a wing goes, so you have to buy both. He may cut you a deal if you buy both at the same time.

Transpac XT is bad for where you are, I have 2, love them, but up in the cold water you want weight, and SS is the best way to get it.

Yup BP/W is what you want. And also what tbone also said about DSS.

If you are planning to go into tech in the future, the back plate/wing is definitely what you want. It is the ultimate in versatility.

Tobin is a good resource and he does sell good quality stuff, but there are other makers of BP/Ws. If you are planning to go into tech very soon, it may be wise to shop around carefully for an instructor/agency first. You may well be able to get a student discount.

Agreed with the above. Just be sure not to be sold a "dual purpose" wing. They suck at both.

Reactions: RJP
I own a Transpac II, a Fred T Heavy (don't know if those are still out there or not) and an aluminum BP. I have Dive Rite Travel, Rec & Classic wings. I like the Transpac with travel wing for singles, from 72's to LP 120's, and will use the Transpac with Rec wing for light doubles (72's, 80's, LP 85's or steel HP (or 232 bar) 100's) though I prefer the Fred T heavy & Rec wing with those. For double 104's, 120's or 130's I prefer the aluminum BP & classic wing.
I do not like a BP with any single.
So, depending on your druthers and the kind of equipment you anticipate diving, my recommendation would be a Transpac with travel wing for singles, and when you're ready for doubles invest in a bigger wing. You can stick with the Transpac/Rec wing comfortably for "small" doubles, and get a backplate any time. If you can tolerate a BP with a single (I hate it!), it *is* a cheaper route than the Transpac.
But don't believe any of the advertising hype about a "dual purpose" wing. The Rec wing, for example, is just fine for light doubles, but a taco with singles. I've seen folks successfully force a taco wing to work with singles, but IMHO those wings all suck with singles. Get yourself a wing for singles, and when you go to doubles, get a wing made for 'em, too.
:)
Rick

Originally Posted by tbone1004
Deep Sea Supply, call them. Buy what Tobin tells you to.
... and he will tell you. ;-)
It's been a while since I've been to DEMA and looked at everyone's offerings, but I will say that Tobin's BP/single arrangement is the best I've seen, and, though I still prefer the Transpac with singles, were I to go with a BP I'd pick his.
Rick

Rick, the transpac is pretty spiffy for singles, it is what I'm "currently using" *haven't actually had a single tank on my back in almost 5 years*, but Tobins design without the STA and the flatter backplate profile is very different than the Halcyon/Dive Rite style plates with a full STA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom