Recommendations on Hotels/Resorts in Cozumel/Cancun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadoober

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

Would any of you recommend any all-inclusive resorts in the Cozumel/Cancun area? I'm looking to take my wife on a trip for 7-8 nights in January. She does not Scuba dive, just me. But I want to fit in at least 2 days of diving, preferrably not having to go too far away to do that. We would want to be on a nice beach, have a nice pool, decently nice hotel, but doesn't need to be too crazy. We're trying to keep the costs as low as we can, without sacrificing too much. Any tips?

IF you really want the nice beach you won't be in the low rent district. These are along the "nice beach" in the southern hotel zone, and all of them have an in house dive op PLUS many other ops will pick up at them because the diving is nearby. Starting at the north end of the beach & working south Wyndham, Allegro, Grand & the Iberostar is the southernmost. All are AI, Wyndham is now adults only.
IF the beach (real beach, not a man made sandy area) isn't that important Fiesta Americana, Park Royal or Hotel Cozumel might be good choices as AI's too.

Photo tours of most of those are here.

Picasa Web Albums - Larry

Cicopo already gave you some good info there. The beaches closer to town on the south side tend to be rocky past the waterline. I'm not sure about the resorts north of town as I have done only one Surface Interval at one up there, but it did have sand out into the water in front of the hotel. Northern hotels are a different deal and many of the shopping sites give inaccurate locations so check the actual addresses for "Norte" and look at the hotel site before booking thru a discount site.

Since you mentioned "trying to keep the costs as low as we can, without sacrificing too much," I played with some ideas...

Depending on how and exactly when you want to fly, you can leave SEA around 6am and arrive Cancun around 5:30pm, but still have to do the bus/van & ferry connection. I've done it and still made the 8am boat but it's not for everyone. Flying from Cozumel (CZM) to SEA the same day is easier with the time change: Air would be $450 & up each RT, depending on how but I would certainly try to return CZM-SEA and not do the ferry & bus/van on return.

I think you might prefer the overnight flight flying into and out of Coz: SEA @ 11:50p, 3 hour connection, to CZM @ 11:17a with various choices on same day return for $474 & up.

Now that is high season, altho at least it's not Xmas or February's Carnival. Looking at air & hotel packages, looks like you can get the Allegro AI for $992 ea including air, hotel & taxes = $148/night for hotel portion taxes included. For the Wyndham, Grand & the Iberostar it looks like $1265-1290 ea = $226/night or more - which sounds high even tho they are top end resorts. There is an Orbitz discount code for taking $200 off of any package but it currently has a glitch. The code is 200entertain is you want to try it, or phone Orbitz.

If I use the same dates booking the hotel separate from the air, Allegro is only $134/night including taxes, but the other three have a wide range of Iberostar @ $161, Grand @ $185, and Wyndham @ $288! :idk: I am not sure if those prices are all AI, but if they are, some may be better than the packages.

If you do get a package tho, do not buy the ground transfers option as you can handle that easier for half price there. I wouldn't book any options in advance.

I've never been to Isla Cancun, just into town once, and I don't know much about Playa del Carmen-Tulum area other than the diving is best at Coz. If you're wife wants to relax on the beach, drink, swim in the pool, maybe a spa day - she might like the southern resorts, and there some tours. If she would want to buy a second bag and fill it with shopping, she might be bored down south and round trip taxis to town might kill your budget.

Don, that price for the Wyndham sounds like it might be for the Aura section. There is the Wyndham (which was originally the Reef Club), the Sabor, (upgrade relative to Wyndham, and now their attempt at a 5 star section is the Aura.

You could always stay at the Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan in Playa and either dive with them or take the ferry to Cozumel. Great beach and hotel and I've dived with Dressel divers there and had a very good time. Tortuga reef on the playa side is full of turtles if you like that? It's a nice place, especially if your wife doesn't dive.

Hotels - Iberostar Quetzal - Riviera Maya

You could always stay at the Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan in Playa and either dive with them or take the ferry to Cozumel. Great beach and hotel and I've dived with Dressel divers there and had a very good time. Tortuga reef on the playa side is full of turtles if you like that? It's a nice place, especially if your wife doesn't dive.

Hotels - Iberostar Quetzal - Riviera Maya
When was the last time you saw turtles there? We dived it in Aug 2008 & Aug 2010, seeing none. I remember diving it with dozens once, maybe in Apr 2005. I get very little info on them tho - some saying that they don't go there much now, but wonder if it's a seasonal thing?

Staying at an AI on the other side of the channel is a popular option and the diving is okay. A new diver from Seattle will enjoy it I am sure even if he doesn't see a turtle herd, and while Coz diving is much better to me, he probably would not be taken to the best Coz sites on a one day trip and doing the cab & ferry to dive with the same Op 2 days in a row might be tiring. He has a thread on the main Mexico forum too: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/me...i-trip-january-2011-need-recommendations.html

Do you know how much of a cab ride there would be from that resort to the ferry? I think a rental car might be better for a peninsula resort tho, BYO maps.

Edit: 3:27 Texas time. It's 38 °F in Plainview on Texas High Plains, 85.3 °F in Cozumel Mex. Hmmmm, it was so tempting.

Last edited:
It's been many years since I stayed at the Iberostar (in Coz) but on both stays there were divers brought over from their sister resorts on the mainland and having talked with one of them it seems they were charged quite a bit (about double) to do it that way. The one that told me the pricing decided to do his own arrangements for the other days he wanted to dive. Also please note that those doing it that way only did PM dives, due to the time necessary to arrive at the Coz location, AND the PM dives are timed shallow dives since there is a tight schedule & the DM's doing them have usually done 2 AM dives already. Most PM dives (going from memory) were in the 30-35 minute range, which gets expensive per minute relative to staying on the island.

When was the last time you saw turtles there? We dived it in Aug 2008 & Aug 2010, seeing none. I remember diving it with dozens once, maybe in Apr 2005. I get very little info on them tho - some saying that they don't go there much now, but wonder if it's a seasonal thing?

Staying at an AI on the other side of the channel is a popular option and the diving is okay. A new diver from Seattle will enjoy it I am sure even if he doesn't see a turtle herd, and while Coz diving is much better to me, he probably would not be taken to the best Coz sites on a one day trip and doing the cab & ferry to dive with the same Op 2 days in a row might be tiring. He has a thread on the main Mexico forum too: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/me...i-trip-january-2011-need-recommendations.html

Do you know how much of a cab ride there would be from that resort to the ferry? I think a rental car might be better for a peninsula resort tho, BYO maps.

Edit: 3:27 Texas time. It's 38 °F in Plainview on Texas High Plains, 85.3 °F in Cozumel Mex. Hmmmm, it was so tempting.

The last time I dived Tortuga was December 2007, the turtles all loved eating the sponge coral that was there. I don't know what a cab costs from the Iberostar Quetzal to the ferry.

The last time I dived Tortuga was December 2007, the turtles all loved eating the sponge coral that was there. I don't know what a cab costs from the Iberostar Quetzal to the ferry.
Maybe August is the wrong month. Thanks.

Wow, thank you so much for all the good information on this. It is humbling to see the amount of effort you all are willing to put into helping me out with this trip. I will start researching with this new info posted here and let you guys know if I have any more questions. :)

Back
Top Bottom