Recommendations Re: Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrifterEd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning A Dive Trip(single) To Roatan Over The Holidays In December. Trying To Choose Between "anthony's" Or "fantansy Island".
Any Suggestions/comments Would Be Appreciated.

Anthonys or CoCo View are my personal favs. You can't go wrong with either. Both great dive ops. Not quite Brac Reef Divers but the next best. Have a blast........Jack The Caymaniac

I've always enjoyed AKR. The set up with the cabins out on the island, dining up the
hill with spectactular views, well managed diving on roomy boats with excellent DM's, etc. And the dolphin dive is well worth it. Oh yes-----not that you'll need it but comforting to have recompression chamber on site.

I've been to both resorts - AKR once in September of 2002, and Fantasy Island June of 2001 and October of 2003. Both are fantastic resorts for diving. My personal preference is Fantasy Island because of their air-conditioned rooms cable TV, in room refrigerators, and all you can eat buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner. My stay at AKR was also good, but it took a couple of days to get used to no air-conditioning. Our room was dockside so at least we had breezes blowing through during the evening. AKR was very rustic - no TV and small rooms. Eating is one of my favorite things on these dive trips and although the food was good and tasty, in my opinion their portions are quite small - we ordered from a menu and it took a bit of time to get our food - no seconds or extra portions if we were hungry. Fantasy Island also prepared take-out food for us to have in our rooms for the midnight munchies - AKR would not even consider such an amenity. The diving was first rate at both places. AKR does have newer boats than Fantasy Island, but both places have excellent divemasters and go out of the way to provide excellent and memorable diving experiences. No matter which resort you choose, bring plenty of insect repellent - the no-see-ums are horrid!

Hi

I have been to the resorts that you are talking about, i would also suggest taking a look at CoCo View if you want to DIVE that is the place look at all postings from ROATANMAN he is the best info on Roatan

ScubaFriend:
Hi

I have been to the resorts that you are talking about, i would also suggest taking a look at CoCo View if you want to DIVE that is the place look at all postings from ROATANMAN he is the best info on Roatan

I agree CCV is the best. Great shore diving. I will be there on July 3rd.

drifter plus, the two resorts you mention AKR & FIBR are on not on the same side of the island. While both sides are good. I would go with FIBR it is next to CCV and more on the leeward side and if a storm kicks up and the northers blow you will at least be able to dive.

drifter plus:
Planning A Dive Trip(single) To Roatan Over The Holidays In December. Trying To Choose Between "anthony's" Or "fantansy Island".
Any Suggestions/comments Would Be Appreciated.

You have named two dive ops (FIBR and AKR) that are on opposite ends of the AI spectrum for Roatan. There are also such other AI's like BIBR (Bay Islands Beach Resort), IoLR (Inn of the Last Resort), CCV (CoCoView) and others.

In that you name two disparate operations- what is it that moved you to specify these two as a choice?

That would allow for an easier answer.

RoatanMan:
In that you name two disparate operations- what is it that moved you to specify these two as a choice?

That would allow for an easier answer.

Good question. R-Man likes CCV, while I prefer FIBR, yet - as a single, you might prefer one of the resorts closer to town.

Me - I'd go back to FIBR in a heartbeat. Almost as diving intense as CCV, intense enough for me, but more amenities I prefer. I wouldn't go to AKR, as I like south wall diving, but I don't like sharing my vacations with that many children!! {Good that families can go there, though.}

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom