Recommended Reading?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leam

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm applying to the local search and recovery team as a volunteer. I know reading won't completely prepare me for some things but the more educated the better. What are some good materials; books, web sites, etc, to read about PSD skills and activities?

ciao!

leam

leam:
I'm applying to the local search and recovery team as a volunteer. I know reading won't completely prepare me for some things but the more educated the better. What are some good materials; books, web sites, etc, to read about PSD skills and activities?

ciao!

leam
A good start is the "Encyclopedia of Underwater Investigations" by the late Robert Teather. Taking the course and getting a certification is only a hundred bucks and worth every cent.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
A good start is the "Encyclopedia of Underwater Investigations" by the late Robert Teather. Taking the course and getting a certification is only a hundred bucks and worth every cent.

Gary D.

I see the correspondance course, though, um, who would you correspond with? I'm new to this and the only certifying agency I've heard of is ERDI. I would assume there are others but don't know which ones I should pay attention to.

ciao!

leam

leam:

ciao!

leam

Since you don't say what area you reside in...

Check out these sites...

http://www.iadrs.org/

http://www.diverescueintl.com/

http://www.teamlgs.com/

This is a good book...

Public Safety Diving
350 Pages. By Hendrick and Zaferes. Written for instructors, dive team captains, surface teams, and underwater personnel alike, this book offers information on procedures for safe operations, proper methods of training, and how to make appropriate purchasing decisions. Various techniques and types of equipment are discussed and assessed. Safety is the constant theme throughout, with and emphasis on surface support, accident prevention, contingency procedures, risk/benefit analysis, and standard operating guidelines. Included also are chapter on methods of search in black water, swift water, and contaminated water, as well as techniques for evidence recovery. This book is a must- have for any department seeking routine outcomes to underwater operations: that victims are saved, that evidence is recovered intact, and that personnel return from the bottom safe and sound.

Paul in VT

leam:
I see the correspondance course, though, um, who would you correspond with? I'm new to this and the only certifying agency I've heard of is ERDI. I would assume there are others but don't know which ones I should pay attention to.

ciao!

leam
Dive Rescue International.

Pay attention to them all. They all have good info to offer.

Gary D.

Wow...when you guys answer you *answer*...

I can see I have a bunch of reading to do, thanks! I live near Charlotte, NC but am in the SC volunteer team just across the border. The folks there are all volunteer and though they have a way to go the drive is for safety and professionalism.

Thanks!

leam

leam:
I live near Charlotte, NC but am in the SC volunteer team just across the border.

How about "Ice Diving Operations" then:D

Seriosly though, the books already suggested are a great start for you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom