Question Reconfigure hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New diver here. I have bought a Atomic setup with M1 first & second stage, the hose is connected to the top port of the first stage and that doesnt work for me so want it moved to a side port, is this something i can do myself or do i have to have my local diveshop do it?
That’s what do you want to do. With adjustable wrench and Allen key set you can do on your own. Don’t over tight anything, quarter turn after get snug more than enough.

20A465B3-D7A7-4B1E-A976-591545527B95.jpeg

Feeling comfortable with the safety of your gear is important. If you are uncomfortable doing it yourself tHe shop who sold you the regs should do it for no cost if you recently bought them. The shop you are training with should be willing to do it too.

As @Eric Sedletzky said. Swapping a hose isn't rocket surgery, and the maintenance manuals that do specify a torque usually have a very low torque spec... Really just making sure it won't back out on it's own.
My husband switched his hoses around the other day and it freaked me out. Nothing went wrong with them, but I’ve been so ingrained by our shop that our shop needs to do it that it weirded me out 🤣

My husband switched his hoses around the other day and it freaked me out. Nothing went wrong with them, but I’ve been so ingrained by our shop that our shop needs to do it that it weirded me out 🤣
A much wiser man then I said "regulator maintenance isn't difficult, it's just precise." Most shops like to keep it mysterious... If people know how simple regs are, fewer people will rely on the shop for everything. Really want to freak out, watch me rebuild a second stage on the picnic table right before a dive (it had a slight dribble/freefloelw from an old seat taking a set)!

Here you go OP:

These wrenches are handy because they are very thin or you can use a small adjustable wrench, but not pliers!!!!!

Works for me, each to their own way but I like the turret up so that it can swivel:

I like the turret up so that it can swivel
Not much swiveling going on with the wing inflator pretty much fixing the rotation angle. I think with proper length hoses, swiveling (or not) is a non-issue.

Not much swiveling going on with the wing inflator pretty much fixing the rotation angle. I think with proper length hoses, swiveling (or not) is a non-issue.

Regardless, I like that the turret can turn to allow the hoses to find their best route by the swivel turret rotating as needed in use. The turret down and angle for the top port is not ideal for my uses and perhaps not for the OP. Maybe for yours but not mine.

If the designers had not intended the turret to be useful then there are seemingly an awful lot of turret equipped regs with no purpose then apparently, including the new Mark 19Evo. I use the top port for doubles, I prefer the turret up and the side ports for single tank use, end port plugged.

I did not say my way is the best or only way but it is a way (that many prefer) and is entirely acceptable for both me and for the OP if he so chooses to route his hoses with the turret up.

Edit to add, if the diver wears their tank fashionably high such that the valve centers on C1 (vertebrae) or higher, then the "DIR" method of using the top turret port angled down works well. If however, as I and many do, the tank is worn such that the valve centers at C7 or even lower then the "DIR" method places the BC inflator hose in a kink as it travels downward and then must turn up to go over the shoulder. And it causes the secondary (octo) hose to angle upward oddly. I am using terminology from this page:

What is right for one diver's needs may not be best for another, there is more than one way to skin a cat(fish).

James

Here you go OP:

These wrenches are handy because they are very thin or you can use a small adjustable wrench, but not pliers!!!!!

Works for me, each to their own way but I like the turret up so that it can swivel:

What’s the tank pocket/cam band setup you have going on? What do you store in it? Just looks interesting so peaked my curiosity :)

Back
Top Bottom