Recurring issue - nausea, headaches & throwing up during dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh my gosh! You are all so very amazing and helpful. I honestly didn't expect any responses for a while ... if at all. This is my very first forum experience. Thanks! You're questions and suggestions make me feel more optimistic that this can be resolved, because so far, my doctor hasn't been any help at all ... but he's not a diver.

simskiscuba - my sinuses are pretty much always inflamed due to slight environmental allergies and food sensititivities. I can breathe through my nose most times, but usually with some amount of force. And my ears feel a bit plugged most times. I've started using a netty pot to help with this, so I hope it makes a difference.

TSandM, Jax & Hank658 - thanks for the link on C02 retention! I'm going to read it right away. I use rental gear, and my tanks usually have way more air in them then the others after a dive. I don't feel anxious beyond the first minute or two into the dive ... in fact I feel more relaxed while diving than any time else. If I'm breathing oddly, it's not consciously. I think that I may be a lazy breather. I'm not physically fit, so I just assumed that my lungs are smaller than fit people, and thought that was why I used less air. I've noticed that sometimes a regulator feels less natural ... that I have to force the air out a little bit harder ... not quite as easy as just naturally breathing. In is fine, it's out that's only sometimes conscious ... but I don't think those have been the times when I've had my episodes.

lulubelle - the breathing may very well be my issue if it's causing CO2 retention ... still need to read the link Jax sent. But I don't think my ascents or stops are part of the issue as my headaches and vomitting usually occur a few minutes into the dive or halfway thru. But it's always good advice to follow, so I'll try to mindful of it anyhow. Thanks.

Another tid bit of information is that on our short boat ride out before the last episode, I mentioned to the dive master that this is the sort of water that seems to give me more grief. And true to that ... it gave me loads of grief! The water was choppy, but I felt fine on the boat and on the surface of the water. As we were descending, I could already feel slightly disoriented but thought it would subside as we got down further ... this feeling does happen sometimes for me, so I close my eyes on and off or stare at my gauges for the descent. But as soon as we got down we began a fast moving drift dive, and whammo! ... I was thrown right into this episode of pain and throwing up. This is why I'm suspecting it has something to do with the drift dives. But I'm definitely not consuming much air, so will read up on the CO2 retention. Thanks sooo much again! I'm actually leaving for Roatan on Monday, and I'm getting some anxiety about this. Not having anything to base it on feels powerless. So, thanks!

i had co2 retention few times because of skip breathing. learnt my lesson after massive headaches and vomiting as soon as i boarded the boat.
never doing that again.

Ummm ... all of you wonderful divers you! ... I think in just this one little forum post, you've helped me to figure this out! This is finally something that makes sense. I know that we're only guessing right now, but it all makes sense after reading up on CO2 retention. I had assumed it had to be something wrong with me, because if it was something wrong with my diving then the dive master or the dive shop would have said something ... I've thrown up with the same shop 2 or 3 times now! All they said after the really bad episode was that if I throw up again, then I won't be allowed to dive with them anymore.
This is my train of thought ... please tell me if you see any errors in it ... :)
1.) I get a bit dizzy or nauseous when there are too many particles, or contradicting moving bits in the water. 2.) When someone feels sick, they tend to shallow breathe attempting to not throw up (I learned this when a friend of mine had thrown up so much that the muscles in her hand started to seize ... we got scared and called an ambulance ... the paramedic said that she hyperventilated which is common when people are nauseous). 3.) My shallow breathing because I'm feeling nauseous causes CO2 retention which brings on the massive headache, tunnel vision, difficulty concentrating, and throwing up.
Oh my goodness ... My doctor had me worried that I may have unexplainable inner ear issues or a neuroligical condition ... and all I probably have to do is "breathe"! ... well, "exhale fully" to be precise. And to be quite honest, I do get a little headache and feel tired after many dives so I'm sure I'm not exhaling properly.
I can't wait to get to Roatan in 2 days and try this out! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Dang I messed up my post. Let me try again...

Tiny, do you not take pseudoephedrine and antihistamines for your sinues and ears? I know, some say not to - but some of us can't imagine trying to dive without them. Ears are the biggest challenge for divers overall, and yours can cause problems equalizing, possibly vertigo and part of your problem.

Last edited:
I wouldnt disagree with possible CO2 retention. However headache, nausea, and tunnel vision sounds pretty suspicious for migraine headaches.

I too used to get splitting headaches, which was caused by trim as I was often head down looking at stuff, and the majority of it was caused by improper breathing. I switched to Nitrox and started breathing all I needed, and haven't had a headache in years.

I wouldnt disagree with possible CO2 retention. However headache, nausea, and tunnel vision sounds pretty suspicious for migraine headaches.
Which can also be a sign of a PFO, as I have read.

True. Especially giving the timing and presentation of the headaches. But how do you test this theory out unless the OP has some incidences in other settings?

And the triptans used to treat them are in theory a problem when diving due to the fact that they cause vasoconstriction.

Ok you posted this while I was posting. Guess I had been distracted while the thread was open too for that much time to pass...
Ummm ... all of you wonderful divers you! ... I think in just this one little forum post, you've helped me to figure this out! This is finally something that makes sense. I know that we're only guessing right now, but it all makes sense after reading up on CO2 retention. I had assumed it had to be something wrong with me, because if it was something wrong with my diving then the dive master or the dive shop would have said something ... I've thrown up with the same shop 2 or 3 times now! All they said after the really bad episode was that if I throw up again, then I won't be allowed to dive with them anymore.
This is my train of thought ... please tell me if you see any errors in it ...
1.) I get a bit dizzy or nauseous when there are too many particles, or contradicting moving bits in the water. 2.) When someone feels sick, they tend to shallow breathe attempting to not throw up (I learned this when a friend of mine had thrown up so much that the muscles in her hand started to seize ... we got scared and called an ambulance ... the paramedic said that she hyperventilated which is common when people are nauseous). 3.) My shallow breathing because I'm feeling nauseous causes CO2 retention which brings on the massive headache, tunnel vision, difficulty concentrating, and throwing up.
Oh my goodness ... My doctor had me worried that I may have unexplainable inner ear issues or a neuroligical condition ... and all I probably have to do is "breathe"! ... well, "exhale fully" to be precise. And to be quite honest, I do get a little headache and feel tired after many dives so I'm sure I'm not exhaling properly.
I can't wait to get to Roatan in 2 days and try this out! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
No, DMs and Instructors are not great medical sources. Some may be, but not all. I do hope that you are a DAN member, but you can call them for consultation from your trip if needed even if you're not.

It does sound like there are various factors in play, some leading to others, some just combining. Regurgitating because of particles in water does happen, and subsequent shallow breathing to make things worse. Do breath deeply! So why are you having problems exhaling...??

Your sinus and ear problems could also be part of the initial problem. You might consider the pseudoephedrine and antihistamines I mentioned above, take some days before your trip to be sure you're not sensitive to them, and if not - take them the morning of flying to help with that, and maybe while diving. Some divers get the extended dosages so they won't wear off during a dive.

Do you get disorientation or vertigo on these dives? I know that, when I started diving, I would easily lose my spatial orientation, and even get vertigo on ascents in green water. I never got nauseated, but I don't get motion sick, either.

As far as migraines go, yes, the symptoms are similar to CO2 retention. But I personally would not make the diagnosis of migraine headache in someone who had never had one on land.

1.) I get a bit dizzy or nauseous when there are too many particles, or contradicting moving bits in the water.

My wife gets vertigo easily in our local lake. Viz is typically pretty bad and she gets dizzy on free ascents/descents. Refuses to dive there anymore!

Try concentrating on one particular particle. You might feel better if your brain is not trying to process a mass of conflicting information.

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom