Regulator choice: comfort and ease of breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the most part I agree with the comments above, except one, "roll the dice on the mk25 evo for cold water." Several of us up here in cold mountain lakes dive with the Mk25EVO, including under the ice, with no issues. I've been on dives at an elevation of almost 8000' / 2400m and witnessed several people deal with a free flowing regs while my Mk25 worked just fine.

If you don't need a swivel reg then skip the Mk25 and go with the Mk17. From a technician's point of view I prefer working on the G260 over the A700. For some reason (really can't pinpoint) I prefer the G260 for diving.

A friend of mine prefers to dive Apeks over Scubapro's Mk25 because the later is a noisier reg. Another friend likes Apeks because it has a weaker purge which leaves it less susceptible to free flow when one hits the water with the second stage out of the mouth. Another friend prefers the G260 because the adjustment knob cover doesn't fall out as easy as Apeks' does.

Since you will be diving in cold water then go with either Apeks' XTX200 or ScubaPro's Mk17/G260 so that you have less comments from people stating the Mk25 isn't good in cold water, saving you from having to listen to someone "rant" about your "bad" choice. What I do recommend is getting the one that is easiest to get serviced locally. It is a pain to ship your reg somewhere for servicing.

Last edited:
Since you will be diving in cold water then go with either Apex's XTX200 or ScubaPro's Mk17/G260

I don't know a lot about scubapro regs. So will reserve my comments. But I know an awful lot about Apeks Regulators (as a side note it's Apeks and not Apex).

Internally the XTX200 is identical to the XTX50 it's just expensive. Nearly everything is the same as the XTX40 expect you lose the ability to adjust the spring which controls breathing rate. However this isn't a drama as you can still adjust it - you just need an allen key. And also no one really does adjust it anyway.

Now if you are interested in saving money the smart man buys the ATX40 - as mechanically it's the same as all the above (with again no twiddly knob to play with) but it's a lot cheaper as it doesn't have the latest flashy plastic casing. But in terms of working it's exactly the same. They all have the same service kits.

In terms of first stages - they have differences in hose routing. But they will all do pretty much the same job and be workable. The higher end models just look more blingy and attract people who like to spend money. In the UK the most hardcore wrecks divers (which I am not one off) will have ATX40's hanging off their bailout and not XTX expensive.

The XTX50 first stage has a swivel, whereas the XTX200 first stage does not. The 200 is more akin to the Mk17 in terms of no swivel and hose configuration choices. The parts kit is the same for both the 200 and 50 first stages, however, the guts are different. Both are diaphragm regs.

Second stage info has already been noted above.

The XTX50 first stage has a swivel, whereas the XTX200 first stage does not. The 200 is more akin to the Mk17 in terms of no swivel and hose configuration choices. The parts kit is the same for both the 200 and 50 first stages, however, the guts are different. Both are diaphragm regs.

Second stage info has already been noted above.

No it does not. The XTX50 is usually paired with a DS4 first stage. Although you can get another first stage if you wish.

FWIW
I've used scubapro, conshelf, oceanic, sherwood, zeagle and hog, and a few others that are so far back in the mists of time that doubt they're even made now.
So far, you can pry my Hogs from my cold dead fingers

No it does not. The XTX50 is usually paired with a DS4 first stage. Although you can get another first stage if you wish.

One can go with either one. In my catalog the XTX50 is listed as one unit and the XTX50/DS4 DIN is listed as another with only a $20.00 difference. Divers, here, who use the 50 are using both the 50 for the first and second stage, whereas none have the DS4. For an alternate, most are using the 40 and a couple are using the Egress. In short, different market places will have different choices and requests.

One can go with either one. In my catalog the XTX50 is listed as one unit and the XTX50/DS4 DIN is listed as another with only a $20.00 difference. Divers, here, who use the 50 are using both the 50 for the first and second stage, whereas none have the DS4. For an alternate, most are using the 40 and a couple are using the Egress. In short, different market places will have different choices and requests.

What catalogue? Or website?

The XTX50 is a second stage. There is no XTX50 first stage.

They sell kits. But there is no official 50 first stage. It's almost exclusively sold in a kit with the ds4. You can get the the DST if you want. And there is nothing wrong with that. The swivel can be useful. As can a 5th port on the bottom. The tek3 first stage isn't bad either.

What catalogue? Or website?

The XTX50 is a second stage. There is no XTX50 first stage.

The Aqualung / Apex Catalog here in the U.S. True, the XTX50 is the second stage. In the catalog it is paired with the DST, however, we tend to call the whole unit the 50. Those using the 200 simply call the whole unit the XTX200. There is no one around here who uses the ds4 first stage, even though the option is available. Different strokes for different parts of the world.

The tek3 is nice and great for doubles. I still prefer my Mk25 for doubles.

@shurite7 the tek3 is great for CCR but that's about it. The DST is infinitely better for doubles in most peoples opinion...

@HantsDiver the interior of the FSR is unique from the other first stages because it has a removable HP crown and the others don't. Functionally identical though

Last edited:
@shurite7 the tek3 is great for CCR but that's about it. The DST is infinitely better for doubles in most peoples opinion...

Thanks for the info. A friend of mine dives with the tek3 and really likes them. I prefer a swivel.

Back
Top Bottom