regulator for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just getting started into diving and just ordered the HOG D1 1st and 2nd's. I only wanted to buy regs once. Combined with the fact that I'll be able to service these myself.

That's my thinking as well. Get something that will last you. It's bad economics to buy an entry level reg now and buy another one in 2-3 years.

Adam

It's kinda hard to make a recommendation without mentioning your 'budget range', as well as whether or not you'd be willing to buy a used reg, which won't have a factory warranty, but will allow you to afford a nicer reg with higher performance that you'd otherwise be able to afford.

Exactly, no details of your budget yet you suddenly seem to be able to narrow your search to a cressi n xtx20?

Which shop did you dive with and what advice did they give on regs?

Also why a xtx 20 which isn't a sealed reg?

For bout US $130 you could get the DST/XTX50/XTX40.

SangP

I don't understand what underwaterdivingequipment.com bases that statement on. I cannot find where it is justified by any quantitative testing, statements by the manufacturer, or diving publications.
XTX20
Apeks Products

Scroll down until you find the XTX20, note the perfect simulator score.
Best New Regs Of 2006 | Scuba Diving Magazine

To confirm this to your satisfaction, just Google Apeks XTX20. You may find information that I am unaware of, or find that this is a purchase that you can make with great confidence. Please let us know what you learn.

I would guess they say that so they can upsell divers to the next model up where the profit margins are a little higher :wink:

If you won't be diving in temps below 50 why bother with the added expense and complexity of servicing a sealed 1st stage?
Diaphragm regs are sealed anyway, and please don't let me dive in any water that is so dirty or contaminated that an environmental seal is needed.

Stick with Atomic or Scubapro. An Atomic Z2 will do everything you need for 10 years.

My instructors only gear buying advice ... get the best performing reg you can afford (that does not mean the most costly one)
A solid reg can last a lifetime of diving and you dont want to get a reg that's "good enough for now" and be disapointed soon after and want a better breathing reg

He was right

I generally agree with the sentiment for almost all purchases. Given that virtually all regulators on the market deliver more than adequate breathing characteristics, what other features justify a higher price?

Unbalanced first stage piston with unbalanced second stage regulators represent the least expensive regulators in most product lines. In terms on longevity, this design is the simplest, least expensive to maintain, and probably the most reliable. Unless you are at 198' with under 500 PSI, there is not much difference in breathing performance compared to the most expensive regulators. In fact, there are a number of more expensive regulators that do not outperform regulators like the Aqualung Calypso and the Scubapro MK2PLUS/R295.

I am not suggesting that no other features matter, but differences in breathing performance are difficult to justify. Explaining the utility of other features may help Nerdkid and others make a good long-term decision.

Most of the brand names top regulators are more top $$ (from what I saw researching anyway). Take a look at the HOG (din) or Edge (yoke) if you want good performance at a lower price.

The simple little unbalanced, piston regulators are inexpensive, dependable, simple to service and maintain, have only one moving part and last virtually forever. I have several old Aqua Lung Aquarius regs from the 1970s that are still going strong. I would suggest an Aqua Lung Calypso or a Scubapro MK2 Plus. The MK2 has been in production since about 1963 and is a well proven design.

Just my two cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom