regulator for pony rig ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point Ron but up here in the NY/NJ area some dive charters require/strongly encourage a pony bottle for diving. Even with a buddy self reliance ain't a bad thing. Wonders if the op has made a decision yet, it would be interesting to see what they ended up with.

I use my reliable workhorse USD Conshelf 20 w/1" diameter SPG on a slung 19 pony. I also have a USD Supreme (another workhorse) as a pony reg for my wife.

The only issue I ever had with the Sherwood as a pony reg was the constant (maybe imagined even) worry in the back of my head that the dry bleed would not give me the extra breath I needed if I had to go to it as others will using it as I was taught. The loss of gas from the tank is negligible but from the hose can make a difference.

I was taught to charge the reg at the surface then turn it off. Charge it again upon reaching depth to make sure it had not freeflowed on the way down, turn on again at the turn point then off, and once at the ascent point turn on and leave on til surfacing. The idea was that this will prevent a total loss of gas should the second get bumped and free flow and that the air in the hose will give me an extra breath as I'm turning on the valve.

I have done this ever since anytime I carry a pony or stage and it works. I never had an issue with the Sherwood this way but the times on many of those dives between chargings of it were relatively short. Now it is possible that those times could be enough to make a difference, so I just eliminated the cause of the anxiety and use a different reg.

Wouldn't the dry-bleed system bleed out, allowing water in when you shut down? Or, was the on/off times minimal enough not to allow it to happen?
For this reason, I'm using a Scubapro mk11 for my pony. Otherwise, I'm a Sherwood fan.
Thanks

Thanks for the advice on the Sherwood. It sounds like the dry bleed doesn't bleed too quickly. (Normally it's behind my head so what do I know. No one has ever pointed at my reg and indicated I should panic over the bubbles....)

I'll have to try it and see how fast it loses pressure when the valve is off. I do use it for sidemount but I never turn that valve off. My pony, however, is normally off after an experience losing most of the gas on the descent during a current that had my full attention.

is it worth the cash to get a balance first and second stage ? should i just get a first stage and use my octo reg ?
If you can afford it get a balanced 1st & 2nd stage. Make sure the 2nd stage is adjustable so you can detune it. You will have the reg for a very long time, so get one that you can grow with.

Yes, you could just get a 1st stage and use your oct.

First, get more experience, (not being harsh), second craigs list is your friend.

I run a 19cf, an Conshelf 21 octo (same as a primary), and a conshelf 14 first stage.

IMHO, you don't need new, you just need reliable. Eventually I'll go with a HOG switchable 2nd. Just because I like gadgets. LOL

Thank you all for your opinions on pony bottle set ups. i ended up buying a sherwood SR1 that i got on craigslist new for 300.00. while i greatly respect all of your experienced opinions i have to question why having a redundent air supply incase of emergency should require more experience. if the SHTF it sure would be nice to have air.

If you buy a pony setup and dive with it, practice its use regularly so that switching becomes second nature.

Since I am already typing, here is my typical pony post (from http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/372271-pony-redundant-set-up-2.html):

At least PADI and NAUI teach that there is a place for a redundant air supply (i.e., a pony) in diving, especially with deep dives. The choice is really up to you.

Personally, I like the idea of a redundant air supply but at this stage in my diving I am not into doubles. I therefore opt for a pony on some dives. Dives on which I believe that a pony is reasonable are: deep, cold, solo, or any combination thereof. I may well have missed something.

There was an excellent link at Rock Bottom and Gas Management for Recreational Divers (Rock Bottom and Gas Management for Recreational Divers | Spherical Chicken) which shows that, if you want to go deeper but within recreational limits, a 19 is a good size, and 13 is a tad too small.

The best advice that I can offer is that, if you choose to dive with a pony, practice deploying it and stowing it regularly. Since a pony has a small capacity it will run down quickly. I top mine off from my main tanks with a device such as this: Tank to Tank Equalizer With Gauge reviews and discounts, IST (Tank to Tank Equalizer With Gauge discounts on sale IST)

I find that surface-swimming face-down with one mounted on your back is a pain. You might consider a stage/deco straps such as those indicated in Stage/Deco Straps and Hose Retainers by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express (Stage/Deco Straps and Hose Retainers by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express) rather than a mounting bracket.

I sling mine like this: DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging (DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging). The only objection that I have heard to slinging a bottle is that it might get in the way if you are lobster hunting. I would stress that, if you dive with a pony, deploy it regularly so that it is second nature.

I prefer to sling my pony for the following reasons:

1. I can put the pony on or take it off in seconds - no tools, no hassle. I suppose that I could "hand it off" to someone underwater, but I don't think that this will realistically be necessary;
2. I can always see my pony tank and the reg. I can see if my reg is free-flowing, or if there appears to be a leak from the O-ring. If it snags on something, I can see what it snagged and fix the situation;
3. My basic gear configuration is unchanged - I use a primary and a bungee'd octo/secondary necklace. The pony reg is bungee'd to the pony bottle, far from my other two regs, and therefore will not be confused with them; and
4. I can consult the pressure gauge on my pony - this gauge is obviously connected to the pony and therefore will not be confused with my main tank pressure.

As a final note, many tech divers will pressurize their stage bottle then turn the valve off to prevent inadvertent gas loss during a dive. [-]Perhaps one day I will do this, but so far, my pony is pressurized and the valve stays open during the dive. This might not be great if I had to rely on that gas for a deco obligation, but I believe that I am likely to see a leak in the pony.[/-] Edit: I now do this.

Safe diving.

What happened to your buddy? Why do you need a pony when you have less than 25 dives?

Perhaps the OP wants to dive below 60 ft at low temperature or maybe he will be diving below 60 ft with instabudies. You must always have a reliable fully redundant air supply. A buddy does not provide this in either of these two situations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom