Reliability of Hoseless Computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i do not like them, and will never buy another...it worked 75% of the time and sent it back to the manufacture 2x then when they sent me a brand new one the second time and it still did not work correctly i gave up and put the transmitter into my scuba graveyard. still use the comp, and i like it minus the wireless pressure gauge.

I like knowing how much air i have EVERY dive not just 2/3rds of the time.

Actually not. My compass is on my wrist, right next to my computer (Suunto SK7 in a DSS wrist mount). That way navigation is easy. I'm not fumbling between devices or flipping a console over because the SPG is mounted on the opposite side of the compass (this makes NO sense to me...).

Totally agree. Seems lame.

The two pieces of information I need to successfully navigate are right there together.

Therefore the only thing in a different location is the SPG. It's very streamlined and the hose isn't hanging out. If I need it, I can easily unsnap the bolt snap (even in heavy neoprene gloves for winters in sunny Indiana :) ) and check my pressure. I have some friends that clip it off to a d-ring on the chest, that way all they have to do is look down and the pressure is right there.

I very much tend to agree with your approach. My current setup is a 3-gage, inline, console; SPG/simple computer/compass. Just wondering how today's gizmos are faring:)

A friend has a computer that can read quite a few tank sensors, and he's tried using that facility. He just ended up so confused he had no idea what tank he was reading the pressure of, and that's now becoming a significant safety issue. These things are a solution to a problem that simply doesn't exist.

It would astonish me that they are not coded to avoid exactly this problem...

They are, but apparently the user was NOT.

:eyebrow:

I know many divers are apprehensive about going hoseless because of reliability issues. Too many "was diving when my computer went blank" stories.

Please share your good/bad experiences with hoseless (transmitter type) computers.

Part of "the problem" with the reporting of "problems" is that people don't report LACK OF PROBLEMS with the same frequency (eg: no one posts "went diving yesterday and my computer didn't fail") so your perception that "many people are apprehensive" and that "there are too many stories" is potentially skewed.

This isn't a rec vs. tec discussion nor was it a question about what the OP could afford. It was someone asking if hoseless computers work well and are they reliable, and my answer is yes they do.

Well, I see nothing here has changed.

I have used both, and been on Uwatec wrist AI units for the past few years. No issues, and much easier to read/use when I am taking pictures. Multiple tank readings are very simple. Still have a small mechanical pressure gauge as a back-up, but have never had to use it.

AI wrist computers are really nice for underwater photographers.

Dan

Of course they are (!), but each is identified by a code letter/number, not a name. remembering which letter refers to which person/tank is the confusing part.

I tried diving his computer once - way too complicated for me.

As I asked rhetorically earlier, how often do you look at your SPG? Once every ten minutes is ample for me for most of the dive.

My personal experience has been good. I've had my Aeris Epic for close to a year, and it has performed flawlessly.

My second hand experience with buddies has been not as good. One buddy has replaced his Computer once, and transmitter twice in a Oceanic unit. However he has had that unit for 3+ years now, and once he got a good one (about a year in), it has been fine.

It is technology, and technology can be very reliable once the manufacture discoverers the bugs, and resolves them. Manufacturing plays a big part, and the units that are likely going to fail, will do so quickly after purchase because I'm not sure how good quality control is on this type of product. My experience is that it is not great. The good news is these things come with rather good warranties, and that is huge. They will get it fixed if you get a lemon. I should add, that is with Aeris, and Oceanic. I can not speak to other brands as I don't have any experience with them.

I use the Uwatec hoseless computers and have never had a problem with them - even around multiple strobes firing. Been using them since the 90s.

Are they necessary? No. Do they work? Yes. Would I change to a hard wired system? Most likely not. They suit me just fine and I'm happy to spend the money.

Back
Top Bottom