removing avanti quattros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kpb007

Registered
Reaction score
I have a pair of Avanti Quattros (with straps and the "ski-boot" type release buckles) that I have used on about 50 OW dives. They have served me well, except that I have a lot of trouble removing them. I primarily dive off of boats and find that I spend way too much time banging into the ladder trying to release the buckle and remove the fins. If I try to remove them without releasing the buckle, the strap gets stuck on the heel of my boots. My main problem is pulling open the buckle after I have unlocked it. Any advice? I am getting tired of slamming into the ladder trying to remove my fins when the surface is choppy.

Thanks for any advice.

kpb007 once bubbled...
I have a pair of Avanti Quattros (with straps and the "ski-boot" type release buckles) that I have used on about 50 OW dives. They have served me well, except that I have a lot of trouble removing them. I primarily dive off of boats and find that I spend way too much time banging into the ladder trying to release the buckle and remove the fins. If I try to remove them without releasing the buckle, the strap gets stuck on the heel of my boots. My main problem is pulling open the buckle after I have unlocked it. Any advice? I am getting tired of slamming into the ladder trying to remove my fins when the surface is choppy.

Thanks for any advice.
Search around on the board...you can make your own spring straps for them that are far easier to remove than the stock buckle system.

Manta Industries makes a spring strap with SS clips that slide right over the posts on Quattros. Lose the Mares strap assys. Leisurepro generally stocks them (you want the ones made for fins other than jets)

WW

We have had the hinged style Mares fin straps since they were first introduced in the mid 90s. That adds up to about 4 pairs or so each (drysuit vs wetsuit booties, etc.) We love 'em!

You may be over-tightening the strap before you engage the clamp. Might I suggest you loosen them off a bit THEN allow the clamp to take up the slack? That way when you flip open the clamp you will be able to slip the strap back off your bootie.

Also, I find no matter what make of fin I am using, a well-fitted foot pocket sometimes means it is hard to take off. If you spray some liquid silicone in the foot pocket, it will make the fin much easier to get in/out of. Last time I looked Dacor made the liquid silicone in a non-aerosol pump bottle. Because you don't need a lot, the bottle literally lasts for years.

DSDO,

~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom