Repair training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BMETdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am interested in learning how to repair and service my own gear, Octo, reg, and the like. I would like to find out how I can get training to do this. Before I get people who want to remind me that this is life support equipment I would like to say that I am a Medical Equipment Repairer and therefore life support equipment is something I understand. I also understand that there are probably flow valves and settings that need to be set a certain way to work and that is why I want to get the training.
Lee

BMETdiver:
I am interested in learning how to repair and service my own gear, Octo, reg, and the like.
Vance Harlow's book, "Scuba Regulator Maintenance And Repair" is a classic. You can also find regulator service manuals for your specific make if is search around online.

Vance's book is excellent.

I was in the same boat. I got my local dive shop to sponser me. I have been to several classes. I am now the Gear Tech for my Local dive shop. Get to know your shop owner and see what they are willing to do for you. Good luck

To take a manufacturers course you usually have to be sponsored by a shop. The only company I know that sells parts directly to the consumer is Dive Rite. Otherwise you will not be able to buy parts kits.

Can't or won't, it doesn't matter, you ain't gettin' the parts. I don't know of a single shop in my area that will sell the parts to the end user.

You can take a gear repair course at Diving Technologies International in Sunrise Florida. Takes a week to complete the course and you can get certified to perform real visual inspections on tanks as well. http://www.divingtechnologies.com/

Rudy is a really nice fellow and you will learn a lot.

Scottri:
Can't or won't, it doesn't matter, you ain't gettin' the parts. I don't know of a single shop in my area that will sell the parts to the end user.

It matters to me. I don't like being lied to. It took some looking, but I have found a few shops in my area that would rather make some money from me in parts and other business than none.

I've taken Mares, Poseidon and Oceanic classes and they state pretty clearly that we are NOT to sell repair kits to the public. Shops don't sell them to you because they don't want the liability. I won't sell them either because if they are incorrectly installed or the reg was not rebuilt correctly people can be hurt or killed and who would know who actually repaired the reg? How do I cover my own a## from someone doing something stupid other than to not enable them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom