Report: Oxycheq @ Gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know - and for the record - I don't think it's a big deal Chris.

The thinking is - we're in an overhead environment... my primary is donated to an OOA buddy... we're passing through a restriction (hence the 7' hose) and now my reg dies. We can't buddy breath, because of the restriction. Thus the requirement to have the inflator and oral inflator on the same side.

But again - I don't think it's a big deal. And before anyone says anything, it's DEFINITELY not worth bastardizing your wing to stick an Air2 on there.

I put about 10 dives on my 45# wing so far, and I do like it VERY much.

I actually called Patrick at OxyCheq about the inflater. I had gotten used to the Halcyon same side unit and thought that this different design might be a problem for me. Patrick told me that they had search high and low for the "best" inflater that they could find and that was it.

After using it for the dives, it was fine! Just use the heel of the hand to inflate when needed and all was well. Just took about two times before it felt OK.

Now, I'm thinking of getting a 30# wing and the light weight backplate and STA for travel. They look sweet!!:eek:ut:

Genesis once bubbled...
What is the issue that people have with the button being where it is? It works just fine.... I haven't had an issue with it....
Personal preference really....I've had one on the inboard side of my BC for about 3 years....I got used to it, I like it there....when I go to grab the ones with and outborad inflator (school's and the oxy's) I inflate the wing/bc un-intentionally

another potential problem I see is if you are travelling with stages, the outboard button can get pinned up against the tanks and inflate the wing at depth...

Tell us T...how many stages have you been diving with that came close to your inflator hose?

If your bottles are rigged properly, you will find that the inflator hose is completely clear of them, regardless of which side the inflator button is on...

Chris

Yeah, I was goin to say, Ive never had that happen...

how many stages have you been diving with that came close to your inflator hose
None...I was just mentioning that I see it as a potential problem...other than that I stand by what I originally said of "personal prefernece". I just don;t like the inflator on the outside b/c I have gotten used to diving one on the inside...

At any rate, the scope of my post waas to provide an unbiased eval of the wings, I think they are great wings. They are well built, and seem to be very durable. The only qwerk which can be remedied that I didn;t like is the inflator....A simple 10 minutes of my time would solve that.....

To put this in perspective....we are looking at the equivalent of a cadialllac and arguing over wether or not the controls for the radio should be above or below the heater switch on the inside panel....

and I USUALLY dive my rig with a pony slung as a stage..... it just doesn't get used for travel gas (since my backgas is breathable all the way down and up)

That's the price of diving a single rig without an effective buddy - bring your redundancy with you, as you just might need it! :)

Hey T, no biggie...just checking.

I would just hate to have someone who has never used a bottle slung as a stage or deco to assume that inflator hoses can get stuck because of something they read online from someone who presents information as fact.

In my limited experience, a properly rigged bottle rides right where it is supposed to.

Otherwise, I am sure that someone, somewhere would have come up with a different way of doing it.

Thanks,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom