Requirement to do night dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CrowyCrow

Registered
Reaction score
Hi a quick question.

By padi standard, is open water certified divers allow to do night dives? Not based on their individual competency level.

Is it the same for SSI?

I will like to add on to my post. I am freshly certified padi dive master. In my organization, my instructors do not allow ow to do night dives. Nt sure if they lazy to take more divers or adhering the guidelines. I have been flipping thru my instructor manual but nothing recorded or i might have missed out. I need a confirmation so i do not give wrong information to my students

Last edited:
You are good to go night diving with any OW cert. It is reccomended you take the night specialty course. I just went with buddies that showed me the ropes. It is now the majority of my dives.

I recomend taking the class or going with an instructor who will look out for you. I bought the night dive book and it opened my eyes about situations that I might not have anticipated otherwise.

I took the course, which was OK. Nothing I couldn't have learned from another diver and a little reading. Granted, I've done very little night diving since. Agencies only recommend things--you can do anything you want.

I will like to add on to my post. I am freshly certified padi dive master. In my organization, my instructors do not allow ow to do night dives. Nt sure if they lazy to take more divers or adhering the guidelines. I have been flipping thru my instructor manual but nothing recorded or i might have missed out. I need a confirmation so i do not give wrong information to my students

What is your organization?

There is no rule from PADI on this at all. In fact, PADI does not have the authority to make such a rule if they wanted to. The dive operation for which you work has apparently made such a rule for any diving they do within their operation. They have the right to do that. They can require anything they want for the dives they do within their operation. They can require that everyone has pink fins if they want to. If people don't like their rules, they can go to another dive operation.

As for what you tell people, just tell them that this is a rule that your dive operation has implemented. Before you do, though, make sure you find out why, because people will want to know.

In some cases, dive operations lie to their customers and tell them that they have to follow certain rules because they are the rules of the agency. It keeps people from blaming them for unpopular decisions. When I was diving in Australia, for example, we were told we had to limit our dives in certain ways because of PADI rules. As a PADI instructor, I knew there were no such rules. When I spoke to the person in charge of diving, he admitted that they were company policies only.

I assume you mean OW students in the course. No night diving in the course. Certified OW divers can do what they want, aside from whatever rules the shop/op has--if they are diving as a customer of that op.

When I was diving in Australia, for example, we were told we had to limit our dives in certain ways because of PADI rules. As a PADI instructor, I knew there were no such rules. When I spoke to the person in charge of diving, he admitted that they were company policies only.
John, I assume this was when you were diving in Queensland. The legislation there states that dive companies have to adhere to the government set rules about diving OR set their own rules/guidelines. If they set their own, these are then considered to be the law.

Therefore, it is possible that the company had set their own rules/guidelines (I suppose someone who did not know better could call them policies), so then they are law and must be followed.

This can cover anything from who can dive what sites or depths, what they have to carry as equipment, how long they can dive etc.

Therefore, it is likely that the person who told you this did not even know themselves the Queensland law relating to diving.

Luckily, in NSW we have no such rules and the dive operators I use in Queensland have very sensible guidelines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom